Easy Eight No22

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
David Hartwell
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 129 times

Re: Easy Eight No22

Post by David Hartwell »

Onwards we go.
From the upright centre line marked and cut a slot.
From the upright centre line marked and cut a slot.
Then cut and filed some pieces like so.
Then cut and filed some pieces like so.
They fit in the bottom bit.
They fit in the bottom bit.
Then drilled a series of holes and filed the slots in the side.
Then drilled a series of holes and filed the slots in the side.
Then cut to the height required.
Then cut to the height required.
And filed the curved corner.
And filed the curved corner.
Once happy with the alignment of everything, loctited some angle blocks in place.
Once happy with the alignment of everything, loctited some angle blocks in place.
Now I can spot weld the two together.
Now I can spot weld the two together.
Like so. Then warm up the temporary blocks and removed them.
Like so. Then warm up the temporary blocks and removed them.
Then tacked the other fixing points.
Then tacked the other fixing points.
And dressed back.
And dressed back.
A coupe of pics.
A coupe of pics.
D7F1F344-34A3-4B83-8CE2-A5F75BD55357.jpeg
Remembered to add the rounded corner when they were off this time.
Remembered to add the rounded corner when they were off this time.
A17DDC2E-5E21-4D8C-8030-5839E059F608.jpeg
These have taken so much time to do but pleased so far. Just the reinforcing ribs on the top surface to go. Not entirely sure how to tackle them yet so some trials on some scrap bits first. Have a good w/end, Dave.
These have taken so much time to do but pleased so far. Just the reinforcing ribs on the top surface to go. Not entirely sure how to tackle them yet so some trials on some scrap bits first. Have a good w/end, Dave.

David Hartwell
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by David Hartwell »

Back to the turret mods. Muzzle Brake.
Decided to enhance the original one.
Decided to enhance the original one.
Added some little pop rivet bits. This looked worse than what I started with so abandoned that idea and off to the drawing board.
Added some little pop rivet bits. This looked worse than what I started with so abandoned that idea and off to the drawing board.
As before I am not taking credit for the machining just the concept and the drawings. Further section was machined off at the diameter of the bit that goes up the barrel.
As before I am not taking credit for the machining just the concept and the drawings. Further section was machined off at the diameter of the bit that goes up the barrel.
Then slots were added top and bottom.
Then slots were added top and bottom.
I may nib the tiny rounded corners out square at some point.
I may nib the tiny rounded corners out square at some point.
Then a fake locking ring was made with the slots.
Then a fake locking ring was made with the slots.
That fits like so and gives the same amount as original to go up the barrel.
That fits like so and gives the same amount as original to go up the barrel.
Then the diameter of the top and bottom bits that stick out was reduced. New angles were then machined to get the outside edge to the thickness required.  Hope that makes sense.
Then the diameter of the top and bottom bits that stick out was reduced. New angles were then machined to get the outside edge to the thickness required. Hope that makes sense.
That new top angle now gives me the little bevelled edge I was after at the top and bottom of the front face. Then the scrap holes were filled and flatted.
That new top angle now gives me the little bevelled edge I was after at the top and bottom of the front face. Then the scrap holes were filled and flatted.
How on earth you machine something to that thickness I have no idea but credit to you guys that have those skills.
How on earth you machine something to that thickness I have no idea but credit to you guys that have those skills.
That part is now bonded in and gives me the very subtle angle change in the front face that I have seen in historical photos.
That part is now bonded in and gives me the very subtle angle change in the front face that I have seen in historical photos.
New holes drilled at the angle of the slope.
New holes drilled at the angle of the slope.
Then a very fine skim of filler to lose the join of the two parts. Very carefully flatted so as not to loose the circular lines.
Then a very fine skim of filler to lose the join of the two parts. Very carefully flatted so as not to loose the circular lines.
Pleased how that came out.
Pleased how that came out.
Some 1/32 rivets added to represent whatever those things are on the original pictures. Hope you like, Dave.
Some 1/32 rivets added to represent whatever those things are on the original pictures. Hope you like, Dave.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 1562 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Great mods to the muzzle brake. Sure looks better.

Vince