Panzer III smoke unit

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
Malcolm Collins

Panzer III smoke unit

Post by Malcolm Collins » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi, can anyone advise me if it is possible to replace the fan on the smoke unit on the above. The tank was fitted with the QD motion pack so I am sure that the smoke unit is of the same vintage. Many thanks.
Armortek...Tiger 1 command tank, Armortek... Panzer III
Armortek...25 Pounder, Armortek... Limber
Tamiya 1/16 Sherman,Firefly,M51,Tiger,Panther,Leopard,Pershing,IS2,KV2,Panther,
King tiger.

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Panzer III smoke unit

Post by Peter Silcock » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:59 pm

I think you will find it will be a standard 40mm x 40mm x 20mm 24volt fan unit. Easy to replace. If Armortek dont have them they are easily available on tinternet about £5. Make sure you get a 24volt one though. Are you sure the fan is no good they are supposed to last virtually forever some manufacturers give a life of 40000 hours for these units!

Malcolm Collins

Post by Malcolm Collins » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Many thanks for the reply Peter. I can only assume that the fan is dead as it is not turning. I have been told that with the earlier smoke units the fans break if you jump from forward to reverse quickly. I have only just acquired the tank so don't really know it's history. The unit is smoking but the fan does not run. I will try Gill in the morning if not I will look for one on the net. I know it is 24 volt but is that the only factor to look for or is there any other electrical factor to consider. Thanks.
King tiger.

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi Malcolm.

As you say speak to Gill but if its an old original fan I would say your best bet is to upgrade the fan to the newer design much better output .. .. then sorry to spend your pennies but you could also get the smoke control unit from the very helpful Mr. Adrian Harris on here £50 a pop and well worth the money, in my opinion.
Cheers Paul. :wink:
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

Malcolm Collins

Post by Malcolm Collins » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Many thanks for the reply Paul much appreciated.
King tiger.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 132 times
Been Liked: 212 times

Post by Adrian Harris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 pm

On the old style smokers, with the fan being above the smoker unit, vapour can rise up into the workings of the fan, condense again and gum up the bearings.

The standard 40x40 fan axial fan used in the old style smokers was a Papst model 414.
This had a air flow throughput of 10m3 per hour.

I have found that the Papst model 414JH, which has a throughput of 22m3 per hour gives a much better output.

Upgrading the fan doesn't stop it gumming up but it does look better when it's running...

My little box means the fan runs whenever the engine sound is playing, even when the tank isn't in motion, so there's less opportunity for errant smoke to affect the fan :wink:

Adrian.
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P Margaret I.L.Y

Malcolm Collins

Post by Malcolm Collins » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 am

Many thanks Adrian for the reply. I'm not sure how old this unit is but the fan is mounted on the side of the unit. It turn out however that it is working and runs when the tank has motion. I had it up on a lift and the fan runs fine. I will get over the purchase and then upgrade to your unit as it would be nice to have smoke all the time.
Regards
Malcolm
King tiger.