'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Sascha Hornbach
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Jagdtiger No.41 in Germany

Post by Sascha Hornbach »

Hello,

I mill some lifting hooks for front and motordeck. There are 3 sizes and a few differences between JT and KT. I also made the Prototype of the MG base on the motor hatch.
JT_030.jpg
JT_031.jpg
JT_032.jpg
The air intakes are also new because the kit intakes are too small.
JT_033.jpg
JT_034.jpg
best regards

Sascha
Maximus Caprorum

Sascha Hornbach

Small update today:

I made the decision to change the hub caps. First I think about to make in in Aluminum, but the result in resin is nice.
JT_036.jpg
JT_035.jpg
JT_038.jpg
Next thing was the NOTEK Kolonnenlicht, I also printed it in 3D. There are 2 parts to illuminate it with SMD LED.
JT_037.jpg
best regards

Sascha
Maximus Caprorum

Sascha Hornbach

Next thing was the frontplate with the inlay for the hatches. At the real Jagdtiger/KT the inner plate is bolted from the inside. At the hull there are only very flat holes or small circles. First I closed The holes with aluminium plugs in 6mm and 3mm. Next step was to shape them for a flat surface. At least I had to drill new holes and made the threads.

best regards

Sascha

JT_039.jpg
JT_040.jpg
JT_041.jpg
Maximus Caprorum

Sascha Hornbach

Hello,

few days since last update here, but it was a bigger step to pimp the frontplate. The original thickness is 250mm so there must be 41,66mm. First I cut off the sides and add 8mm Aluminium to the frontplate. The weldingseams at the frontplate are very wide, and I can "hide" the rest of the thickness behind that weldseam. Looks much scaler now I think. I also do some angles on each plate corner, the original plates also had big angles to weld such thick armor together. You can see this angles on the Bovington and Aberdeen Jagdtiger.
JT_042.jpg
JT_043.jpg
JT_044.jpg
JT_045.jpg
JT_046.jpg
JT_048.jpg

I milled a nut around the MG Copula at the front, to get better scale weldings. The spare-track holders are also a early version on 331 and I moved them a few mm outside each side.
JT_047.jpg
I made the decision to build the "331" from Aberdeen because it was in action and knocked out only a few km from here and it is one of the best documented Jagdtiger.

best regards

Sascha
Maximus Caprorum

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Sasha, Nice work on JT! I never knew the AT armor needed to be thicker than it already is. Will you add battle damage to your model like real one?
Best regards,
Bob

Sascha Hornbach

Hi Bob,

thanks for your kind words! Yes I will add the damages like the real one maybe not all. But first I have a look when and where 331 get this hits.

regards

Sascha
Maximus Caprorum

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 3098 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Nice work Sascha, and your the first to point out the scale thickness issue, when I find a JT I will do the same mod. This is a most impressive model indeed I can't wait to build one.8)

Regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Email/ Exploration20@outlook.com

Chang
Has liked: 7735 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Chang »

Phil Woollard wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:26 am
Nice work Sascha, and your the first to point out the scale thickness issue, when I find a JT I will do the same mod. This is a most impressive model indeed I can't wait to build one.8)

Regards Phil.
Hi Sacha and Phil,
Glad to read this. Knew the scale thickness issue has been addressed now.
Last edited by Chang on Mon May 31, 2021 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Jerry Carducci
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Sascha Hornbach wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:54 pm
Hello,

few days since last update here, but it was a bigger step to pimp the frontplate. The original thickness is 250mm so there must be 41,66mm. First I cut off the sides and add 8mm Aluminium to the frontplate. The weldingseams at the frontplate are very wide, and I can "hide" the rest of the thickness behind that weldseam. Looks much scaler now I think. I also do some angles on each plate corner, the original plates also had big angles to weld such thick armor together. You can see this angles on the Bovington and Aberdeen Jagdtiger.

best regards

Sascha
This quite interesting Sasha. I've been debating which kit I want to begin after I'm complete with my M3 Lee. I've not yet even opened my
JT kit yet (I dislike opening things up before I need to) so I'm unsure how those plates fasten together. I'm assuming you needed to drill a new hole and thread it since putting the extra thickness would change the relative positions of the two? Or are you saying that you also made the corresponding slots at the front two side plates ('First I cut off the sides') deeper as well?

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Sascha Hornbach

Hi Jerry,

sorry for that late answer! The positions of the existing holes must not be changed. I drilled 4 new holes in the inside to fasten the plates together. Yes, you also have to cut the 8mm off the Sideplates because of the thicker Armor.

best regards

Sascha
Maximus Caprorum

Jerry Carducci
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Sascha Hornbach wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 pm
Hi Jerry,

sorry for that late answer! The positions of the existing holes must not be changed. I drilled 4 new holes in the inside to fasten the plates together. Yes, you also have to cut the 8mm off the Sideplates because of the thicker Armor.

best regards

Sascha
I like it Sascha, seems a very good modification I'll likely do to my JaTi when I get to it...seems relatively simple to do and is as you said very noticeable when viewing the model from the side. If it was only a few mm I'd be inclined to let it 'slide' as we say here but 8mm is quite a bit; again not condemnation of the kit as it's a marvelous thing I'm very happy to have.

Are you going to try to use steel tracks or stay with the issued tracks? I'd like to try steel tracks for such a large machine even though I know the recommendation is against that. Way over here where I am the fewer things that can break the better off I am...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

My 2 King Tigers and the Jagdtiger are all equipped with Olaf's steel track links, without any issues till now. Also the wearout of the drive train is not too big. Only the Panther / Jagdpanther doesn't work with its steel track links, due to the design of the road wheels (shape and rubber).
kind regards
Gerhard