Steve Ellis
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Chieftain No. 34

Post by Steve Ellis »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 am
Richard, Steve.

Thank you the picture and info. I took my dimensions from 1/35 takom kit, but I would appreciate real dimensions if that is ok.
Cheers Charles
Unfortunately we are in a full COVID-19 Lockdown here in the UK, otherwise I could pop over to the Tank Museum at Bovington and take them for you but they are currently closed.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1587 times

Post by John Clarke »

Steve "pop over to the tank museum" lucky man. Even just the thought of it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm afraid I've said it before, artistic licence (A Banksey) and using Dave Armorpaxe Dibbs extinguisher as a size guide. It's a tricky balance. :|
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Steve Ellis
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Steve Ellis »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 am
Richard, Steve.

Thank you the picture and info. I took my dimensions from 1/35 takom kit, but I would appreciate real dimensions if that is ok.
Cheers Charles
Check out this article from the Knowledge base on how to rescale to 1/6th

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7927

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 719 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Steve, John.

Good info, Steve I will study the article when less tired, actually did "work" today( another story). I am slowly working my way though the Knowledge Base, however only as it relates to the build, so Steve this article is relevant to my attempts at scratch builds.

John, I have these extinguishers and will embarrass myself shortly, i.e tomorrow.

And finally, those blocks that hold the loaders hatch open, anyone got a detailed drawing please; I have 2x blocks of metal that don't look that interesting.

Good evening and keep safe all.
Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 266 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

For those that prefer 'artistic license', look away NOW and don''t peek!!

Charles, as requested
atu 4.jpg
atu 5.jpg
Whats the betting they did peek? :lol: :lol:

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Many thanks Richard, I feel a lot more confident knowing that the width of the Clansman ATU box is smiggine over the length of the Armorpax extinguisher bottle mount. The front plate recessed about 1mm with 10x bolt heads with a guesstimate across the flats of about 2mm.
:D

Charles A Stewart

Many thanks Richard, I will compare the real measurements with my efforts. Were the photos from an archive or do happen to have a handy Chieftian nearby?
John, I used m1.6 bolts, but I have noticed the use of what appears c/sunk hex screws, I might be wrong though.

Cheers all
Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Charles
The bolt heads seem a little recessed probably to reduce damage on hex edges if sprayed with small arms or shrapnel, allowing easier removel if that occurs. Good for us as the recess will allow for a little more detail.

Charles A Stewart

Evening all.
Cheers John, When I looked closer you are correct, a slight recess. I thought it a shadow. Again thanks for measurements Richard the box is actually spot on (enough for me).

Tonight's request for info folks, if that is OK. Nearly all my references show the Commanders hatch open, I would be grateful for some enlightenment as to the fittings found when the hatch is closed (2 in Photo) and what are the various bits and pieces fitted to the top of the turret (1in Photo). 3 in photo , if I am correct locks the hatch open.

Many thanks and all help much appreciated.

Charles
Attachments
Inked Comms cupa 1a.jpg

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Try this Charles,
But I still don't know what the rail is for, it appears on all Mks too.
Other random blocks welded on the turret could be for war gaming simulation equipment.
Or a cunning plan, more trip hazards for would be enemy trying gain access to the turret equipment and hatches. :lol:
DJI_00631.jpg

Charles A Stewart

Many thanks John.
What's the number on top of the hatch?

Its one of those things, to coin a phrase; mission creep. I should really put on serial nos. especially where they are obvious.

Have a good weekend every one.

Charles

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Charles
I think 2mm lettering should work nicely on the commanders hatch 8) , but you may need to be a bit creative for the smaller MRS box.
(once you've constructed it of course :lol:)
DJI_006322551.jpg
DJI_006322551.jpg (115.73 KiB) Viewed 85599 times
DJI_006322.jpg

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Charles adding teeny tiny letters, frustrating to even just see them, certainly adds the detail.
But it's a wabbit hole that never ends. It's not good if you have Dyslexia and your spellin not much cop like me :lol:
ps Fat fingers don't help either.

It is possible to get hold of sub 2mm letters plastic types which stand up so nicely. But I have brought 1.5mm plastic letters and are, shall we say not cleanly moulded.
Small 1mm brass etched letters can be bought from Accurate Armour Ltd for a very reasonable price. Adding that touch of quality to a "cast" piece.

Accurate Armour Ltd
Units 6 & 7
Kelburn Business Park,
Port Glasgow,
Inverclyde,
Scotland PA14 6TD
d27_1.jpg
d27_1.jpg (118.83 KiB) Viewed 85589 times

Charles A Stewart

Hi all
John many thanks for info requested and the extra for the MRS, which you have correctly suggested is in hand but only at the drawing stage with measurements taken from the Takom kit. You don't have a photo of the other side do you?.

Hope you don't mind my cheek in asking. Anyway I shall look into buy some lettering this p.m.

Cheers Charles

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Searching.................

Of course I don't mind, it's a pleasure.
ps, don't trust takom, they guess too. :lol:

DSCF0475.JPG
chieftan_mk11_42_of_831.jpg
chieftan_mk11_42_of_831.jpg (261.63 KiB) Viewed 85572 times
chieftan_mk11_51_of_8311.jpg
DJI_00701.jpg
DJI_00701.jpg (126.32 KiB) Viewed 85572 times

The MRS box looks quite uniform, slight angle and tilt at the front end pointing towards the gun reflector. Odd shaped cover plate at the rear and some tin plate covering the supply/signal cable.
If your considering putting casting numbers on this casting too, I'd be temped to measure width with them in mind.