00 FD 96 John's Main Contender

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
John Clarke
Been liked: 1153 times

Re: 00 FD 96 John's Main Contender

Post by John Clarke »

Its a bit later.

Before Xmas I started on the grills openings on the rear deck, I enjoyed putting them together and then thought of putting a bit of detail on them to give them a bit of a 3D effect. What struck me was that the engine/radiator grills were quite short (Look how far the grill hinges are away from the fuel filler caps on the model compared to the original) and constructed in such away that they have a flange on both ends making the grills themselves even shorter.
This meant the builder had to choose where to put the detail parts. The pull up handle for example. Hard up against the Tee piece or hard up against the grill, either way there would be a space.
The other way round it, would be to build all new grills.

I chose hard against the grill. :|

Worse was to come, because the sizes of the engine/radiator grills are so short, the gearbox outer grills are really narrow to match them.
I had hoped to fit posts that protect the long boxes where the grills rest on them when they are open like the original (a bit more detail). But not sure I should now, because the outer gearbox grill is approx 16mm narrower than I think they should be and when open it'll be about 32mm from where they should be on top of the long box.

An inquisitive mind might point to the grill rests and ask "what they for Mr?"

Ermmm " go forth and multiply" may come to mind.

The really good builder would have his work "cut out" to put the grill problem right (pun intended).

Gauntlet thrown :lol:
engine bay3.jpg
engine bay4.jpg
SAM_3746.jpg
SAM_3746.jpg (228.32 KiB) Viewed 515 times
SAM_3748.jpg
SAM_3748.jpg (205.17 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 264 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

Despite the scaling inaccuracies, its looking really good John! Keep up the good work :mrgreen: I'm sure I'll be checking your posts out more closely once I do restart again to see what i'm missing :D

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 1687 times
Been liked: 4418 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Compromise compromise compromise JC! I will promise to tap the like button on your thread, that's the little button that not many can be bothered to tap these days, mind you it does take some effort!
Attachments
IMG_20200715_113053_kindlephoto-4719555.jpg
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Email/ ptwoollard64@hotmail.com

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Well illustrated Phil, there I am laying back chilling. you forgot the mug of coffee and a packet of gingernuts.

But..... "Compromise".......Phil, when do you Compromise?, each build you publish is better than the last. Unique, uncompromising brilliant. You push the boundaries and many of us I'm sure are :mrgreen: each time we turn the page.

You could say compromise is detailing, adding detail, improving. Fancy paint jobs. But scale is scale, as a community we expect the very best.
That what it says on the "box". It's at the top of the page too.

Scale doesn't just mean Height length and width, we all know a card box can do that.

I look at Chieftain rear deck detail and see something that is a least 30mm or 1 1/4inch (old money) plus short overall width wise.
The only way it can be put right is to open up the openings, make 12 new grills, re-profile the deck and construct a new Tee Piece etc.

Sadly I don't have the skills, equipment, or wish to invest the time.

Yes, you could say don't look so closely, leave off with the measuring stick.

But isn't that what we do?

Scale tank and military vehicle model builders.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Before I can fit the false polycarbonate floor, I have to start fitting the bogies otherwise it makes it difficult to bolt them in. At the same time, I'm doing some PM work or Preventative Maintenance.
Several builders have noticed slight edge wear on the inner road wheels caused by the Bazooka skirt support bracket bolt heads. Any slight wobble on the wheel could rub on these bolts heads. So I opted for changing the steel bolts to stainless and skimming the bolt heads to maximize clearance.
Hope it works when I get to putting on the wheels.
I must add to this. This is why it's so important to keep up to date with other builders, experience of others willing to share is priceless, even though it will be some time before the wheels go on, their'll have a fair chance to keep their shape and paint on 8)
SAM_3779.JPG
SAM_3779.JPG (189.57 KiB) Viewed 324 times
SAM_3787.JPG
SAM_3787.JPG (162.22 KiB) Viewed 324 times

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

A while back I felt some negative vibs over Wallace and Grommet support in the garage (CS).
I like to think there's a bit of both in all of us. After all Wallace is a scratch builder and Grommet the practical influence.
Introducing the dark side with the evil Penguin probably didn't gel either.
Sponge Bob, he wouldn't do. (reserved for maritime interests).

So now there's a new/old kid on the block. Chip Hazard, Chewing gum and kicking A$$. And he's all out of gum.

So moving forward, actually backwards. I've decided to cut out the etched netting supplied for the grills with the kit and replace it with finer detailed steel netting brought from Wicks DIY.

The netting is actually supposed to prevent spent commander MG cartridge cases falling into the Engine and Gearbox compartments, causing more problems on the L60, if that were possible.
So the books tell me.

The New netting is much more in keeping with grills :lol:
Only twelve to do.

The waste brass will be weighed in and should be worth a pretty single "penny"
SAM_3804.JPG
SAM_3804.JPG (200.96 KiB) Viewed 69 times
SAM_3805.JPG
SAM_3805.JPG (192.35 KiB) Viewed 69 times
SAM_3806.JPG
SAM_3803.JPG
SAM_3803.JPG (253.41 KiB) Viewed 69 times
SAM_3809.JPG