Tiger Ausf E “F01” Gruppe Fehrmann

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
AlastairCooke
Has liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Re: Tiger Ausf E “F01” Gruppe Fehrmann

Post by AlastairCooke » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:23 pm

Hi Adrian
Thanks. Perhaps I should consider designing a 'heat shield' that looks like the fuel tanks? :wink:

Alastair

Ivano Costantini
Been Liked: 584 times

Post by Ivano Costantini » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Hello Alastair,
from tests carried out in the past, the resin I use begins to deform at 50 degrees.
Ivano

AlastairCooke

Post by AlastairCooke » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi Ivano
Thanks for the information. I have not completely decided where to put the smoker system(s). I am looking into a vape based design at the moment so may put the units under the turret for easier access.

Alastair

AlastairCooke

Post by AlastairCooke » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi All,
Update 25 Oct 20
Not much to report as I have spent much of the last few weeks deciding on the position of some of the items in the hull. Currently I am planning to have a servo-driven bow MG, 4 stepper motors driving the radiator fans, a Beier sound system with speakers located under the radiator inlet grills and two smokers each with a high pressure/flow fan unit located in front of the firewall. As a result I intend to install a 24V battery system for the motion (drive motors and turret rotation) and a separate 12V battery for the other services as some, like the smokers, can drawn a lot of current. There will probably be another 12V battery in the turret so that the turret electrics are separate from the hull systems.

I have spent a lot of time reading battery specifications and selected: two Relion RB20-X (12V 20Ah with 50A max continuous) in series for the 24V system and a Tracer 12V 24Ah (30A) or 12V 16Ah (30A) battery for the 12V system. Will not be buying them just yet so things might change.

As I will most likely need to access the hull mounted systems through the turret ring I decided to start assembly of the turret....what fun that was! :wink:

Spreading the horseshoe was actually quite easy using a heavy-duty clamp/spreader and the front frame snapped into place. I had checked beforehand that the ‘tongues’ slid into place fairly easily. This was achieved by test fitting the frame from the outside and assuming that the fit from the inside would be the same.

Bolting on the turret base was when the fun really started! :x :(
I spent well over an hour trying to fit 8 screws... in the end it was the order that mattered and the length of screws used to get things started. The front centre and rear cap screws were fitted as per the instructions. I then used the other two M4x20 cap screws to line up the front frame before replacing them with some of the M4x16 cap screws. In so doing, I could use the longer M4x20 screws to get purchase in the tapped holes on the rear sides then came two M4x16 screws for the holes at the front sides. Finally, the bolts were swapped around to match the instructions and the turret sides bashed with a rubber mallet and tightened up.

I spent a lot of time thinking that the high tightening torque was due to cross-threading (a definite no-no with steel bolts into blind holes in aluminium) rather than being caused by the cap head pulling into the counter bore and lining things up :? . In the end, I just went for it :evil: and everything came together 8) . There will be a bit of filling and shaping but at least I have a turret to be proud of :lol: !
20201025_153103-doc.jpg
the turret so far...
20201025_154330-doc.jpg
weapons (tools) of choice...
Quite a long-winded story but useful advice (I hope) for anyone yet to build their Tiger 1 turret.
Alastair

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 297 times
Been Liked: 983 times

Post by Vince Cutajar » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Bolting on the turret base was when the fun really started! :x :(
I know that feeling.

Vince