Mick's Grant

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
michael hilton
Has liked: 334 times
Been Liked: 167 times

Re: Mick's Grant

Post by michael hilton » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 am

Made a start on the tracks overnight. It's a fiddley job when you have butter fingers....so I knocked up a simple jig to hold the track upright while fitting the screws and locknuts. Not perfect by any means, however it does help....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 am

Awful morning, cold wet and windy...summertime, summertime, who knows, who cares :? The track production line up and running, in full flow....track jig is being patented as I write.... :wink: Looking forward to the all singing, all dancing 'new options', can't wait to spend my money, because, I ain't taking it with me....Mick :)
Attachments
IMG_1556.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:24 am

Hello lads and ladies, running out of space....one excuse for not ordering a Chieftain :wink:
Phil, be very careful with Cyno, this adhesive triggers my asthma.... enjoying your build....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1557.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:06 am

Good morning, by way of light relief from assembling tracks I laid out the Grant turret parts. I have a question regarding the gun barrel part number ENO459 and the gun tube part number ENO458.
I can see that the gun barrel has an internal thread, and the gun tube is smooth internally. How are the two parts joined and with what....? I may have missed something here...Mick.
Result....I will leave this post on the Forum as I have now worked out the answer, and it may help others, :oops: The gun tube must be cleaned thoroughly, ( mine had a pronounced lip ) the gun barrel will then slide through the tube. The thread in the barrel ( I believe ) is for the recoil mechanism to screw into...via the recoil Options Pack... :roll: Have a nice day... :)
Attachments
IMG_1561.JPG
Part number EDO603 is the M/C Gun
IMG_1560.JPG

Mike Conley
Has liked: 70 times
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by Mike Conley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:50 am

Good Morning Michael!

I also had to figure out a way to hold the barrel in the tube. I couldn't find any metric bolt that would fit the barrel threads so after I installed the tube in (with that big brass nut) I used a long smaller bolt that WOULD go up in the barrel. Then I put a BIG GOB of clear RTV rubber glue all over the bolt threads and shoved it in the barrel. I didn't want to use JB Weld or any epoxy that gets hard because I (or the next owner) may need to take the barrel out someday (if a recoil system is to be installed).

I didn't want the bolt/barrel to start backing out so I used a piece of brass sheet to hold it forward. There's a lot of threaded holes on the back so I used them. Also, to hold the 37 barrel up too, there's two threaded holes (behind that traverse motor) on the back of the mount. I cut a flat strip of aluminum long enough to go up over the mount, drilled two holes aligned with the two (left) unused vertical mount holes, then bolted it on. When the mount tries to pivot down the strip rests at the top on the turret inside. This holds the 37 mount level.

For the 75 barrel I shoved a piece of nylon rod inside (I also thought about wood dowel) with RTV on it and put a piece of angle aluminum across the back of the mount. This holds the barrel UP and helps set the depth of the barrel. I ground the sides of the rod and cut a notch in the aluminum to hold the barrel from turning (to keep the muzzle brake level).

Mike (the one in Kentucky!)
Attachments
MVC-185S.JPG
MVC-185S.JPG (36.98 KiB) Viewed 172 times
MVC-189S.JPG
MVC-189S.JPG (37.85 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Armortek Models: Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, Sd Kfz 7, Sd Kfz 222, M4A3 Sherman, M3 Lee. Tamiya Models: Tiger 1 (3), King Tiger (3), Panther, Sherman (5).

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:00 am

Good morning and thank you Mike, I'm hoping with the all new 'options' that both guns on the M3s will have recoil. Now, back to big boys toys...had a surprise visit this morning on the production line. Only 'the man' himself, on his way to North Africa :) ...Mick
Attachments
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 436 times
Been Liked: 886 times

Post by Phil Woollard » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:37 am

A quality build as usual Mick, I always look forward to dropping in on your build log!
Mechanical engineer, Pyrotechnic technician, and small time farmer.
Youtube channel, Magpiespyro. For 1/6th scale video action!
Email; magpiespyro@hotmail.com