Solid wheels

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Tony Heaps

Solid wheels

Post by Tony Heaps » Thu May 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Request for advice please
I am very new to this but have built most of the chassis, trying on the front wheels they seem very "wobbly" with the screw done up finger tight ,any tighter and they cant move . The rear appear to require a lot of fettling as they only fit part way onto the taper.I guess it is me doing something wrong but I cant work out what it is,
All advice greatfully recieved

Robert Reid
Has liked: 67 times
Been Liked: 289 times

Re: Solid wheels

Post by Robert Reid » Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 pm

I found that I can get the wheels seated on the tapers ok, but the kit-supplied bearings have a lot of radial runout (aka... they allow wobble!).

I have not solved it yet and may not as both of my kits are going to be static. And it may not matter at RC speeds and 'handling.'

But I don't think the problem is in your wheels seating on their tapers or on your kingpins. But in the bearings.

Likely, you can source some tighter bearings for the hubs... there are all manner of tolerance available.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Sirhr

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 135 times
Been Liked: 153 times

Post by Mark Heaps » Fri May 22, 2020 12:04 pm

I have been trying to remote assist my father but so far no success.
The problem is not wheel wobble on the front wheels but rather they lock solid on EPO216 if the M5x16 CSK is tightened fully. He has confirmed EPO215 rotates freely if the wheels are not fitted. Backing off the M5x16 allows the wheels to turn but results in loose screws and the wheel wobble. Sounds to me like a stand-off spacer is required between EPO215 and the road wheel but one does not seem to be shown in the instructions.

Mark

Tony Heaps

Post by Tony Heaps » Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm

thanks Mark , you explained it so much better than I did , and also thanks forthe above advice although this will be ,if I get it finished a radio controlled one