Starting my 25 Pdr... Mirbat Gun.

All topics related to Armortek's 25 Pdr
Robert Reid
Has liked: 37 times
Been Liked: 114 times

Re: Starting my 25 Pdr... Mirbat Gun.

Post by Robert Reid » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:14 pm

When we last left the project... we were getting ready to rivet the reinforcing brackets onto the shield... but the press for some reason would not expand the copper rivets. Still working on that... this press should crush them perfect.

This is a brake riveting press, BTW. Also for clutches. And I built my 1:1 Model T Armored car with it. 5,000 rivets...

Using custom-made dollies for the 3/32nd (ish?) rivets on the front shield. I turned the dollies up from mild steel and they will double-end the rivets. The 25 pdr is kind of an experiment. The real test will come on the Rolls!

Shield with rivets set on both ends. And markings for footman loops and other holes. A few of the 8BA bolts and nuts in place, instead of using cap screws.

Other side of the shield showing rivets dollied on both sides. Some of the Armortek bits going on with 8BA bolts and nuts.

Hubs, which took quite a bit of modifying, but I think because I made a mistake and put the Armorpax web pieces too far outboard. But the backing plates work great and the drums work with spacers and a bit of machining. I am going to revisit Dave Dibb's build tonite as I think I need to move some axle parts around before I put in my linkages, lever, etc.

After much riveting, much tightening nuts, much soldering and a bunch of other work, a beautiful shield is starting to emerge! I machined the sight 'tube' so that it is now hollow with a removable cap. The footman loops are pressed in the holes and soldered from the back (small torch melts them into a perfect little rivet!) I decided to steal from a couple of amazing builds here and do some brass work, especially for the wood toolboxes, which I will probably build tomorrow. The Armorpax boxes are great, but I think I can make them 'complete' with hinges, lids and ironwork (brasswork?) to go in the brass cradles. The Armorpax boxes are perfect patterns, too!

One of my brass projects... a cradle for the wood toolbox. Love the way it came out and it was super easy using brass strip and a small press/shear I got from eBay.

Front of the shield with footman loops fitted. The factory shovel clips are going to get replaced with some brass ones I'll make tomorrow. It's a lovely piece!!!!

Self-etch primer applied to the front... the rear tomorrow after a few more details go on. Seems a shame to paint over all these neat little details! But it's coming together nicely!

And last... starting to mock up assembly. One can never really appreciate the scale of an Armortek kit until it starts to come together like this! Not just the scale, but the opportunity it has for detailing!

A fun Saturday... when I should have been doing other things. But I needed a relaxing weekend!

Cheers,

RPR

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Just three more from today... I had hoped to get more done, but I got kind of obsessed with brakes and the brake handle... wanted to make my wood tool boxes, too. But it turned out to be time for a nice Shiraz and some cheese!

I ended up modifying Dave Dibb's great parts (again... like with the limber) to add a few details to the white metal castings. And made another support tray for the wood tool boxes I intend to build.

Here you can see the modified lever and the linkages. Added some springs which looked great in Jeff and Marcus' builds. And some linkage-looking accessories. It turned out that I had messed up the brake backing plates initially (fortunately, they were only fitted with no adhesive) and so figured out my errors and got everything right thanks to the great pictures from the above mentioned builds and Armorpax. Forum is, again, invaluable!

Here is a picture of the left (offside, in UK-speak) hub showing the linkages. I was a bit creative in the use of Dave's parts, but I think it looks the part and has some nice detail!

This mainly shows the rack for carrying the wood box, with its handles. The brass work is really fun to do and very satisfying. A small shear/press and good solder and it takes no time. This took under 30 minutes from start to finish.

That's all for this weekend... a lot done! Very fun. Next I have to start to get into the sighting mechanism and gearboxes. And the big sighting platform. I think that is going to be fun, and I am trying to figure out how to do degree marks without going blind. Thinking a scribe on my rotary table... But I have a lot of detail work to start pulling together before I start another big subassembly! Breech is high on that list. Lots of good ideas here!

Cheers,

RPR

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 pm

I only got about 3 hours this weekend to work on kit... getting ready for winter, stacking wood, putting on studded snow tires, putting away tractors and mowing equipment....

But in that time, I got a good start on my two wood storage boxes. Which is really timely, because I think that Dave Dibb's tools will go very nicely in one of these boxes!

The Armortek kit boxes are nice and fill the role. And Dave's resin boxes are gorgeous and show all the right detail. But I wanted wood boxes that open and close and store tools and kit. So I made them from scratch.

In front are my two boxes that will fit in the brass racks. In back are the kit box from Armortek and the Resin box from Armorpax. Both great... but I wanted to go further.

Here is a close-up of one. The nails in the brass are made from brass wire, 1/16th pounded in the wood and then ground to look like a nail head. The rivets on the brass strapping are nails. I have to come up with hinges and latches. I'd rather buy than make. But can do either. Also, rope handles will be fitted using model sailboat rigging line, which is really good scale rope!

That's all for this weekend.. not much. But fun!

Cheers,

RPR