Bryans 17 Pdr with a pinch of Armorpax (and maybe Pheasant)

All topics related to Armortek's 17 Pdr
Dave Dibb (Armorpax)
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 1098 times

Bryans 17 Pdr with a pinch of Armorpax (and maybe Pheasant)

Post by Dave Dibb (Armorpax) »

Hi All,

After the days and days of inactivity while Easter broke out I am back at the bench and Bryans 17 pdr is underway. I have a set of 25 pdr parts inbound to modify for the brake assemblies etc and this should be a fairly quick build.

It is quite possible I will make a set of Pheasant conversion parts along side this. Just need to know where Marcus got that wonderful flat fronted muzzle brake ;-)

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

There used to be a nice banner here till Photobucket lost everything.............................

Marcus Kwa
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Bryans 17 Pdr with a pinch of Armorpax (and maybe Pheasa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Hi Dave,
Yessss that muzzle brake......... It is build-up from plasticard, actually laminated plasticard as I had some difficulty getting the cone section right and to have it retain it's shape. I think I have made 6 cones till I was satisfied with the result. :roll:

I started out with a cardboard template of the whole muzzle brake. Then cut it apart and re-traced it on plasticard. Then the trouble started: rolling a cone is easy. However after glueing the overlaps together the glued part was considerably stiffer than the rest and distorted the cone :cry:. I tried shaping the plastic first by rolling the sheet around a sharp edge but could not get it uniformly curved. I eventually glued/fitted two cones into each other, both had no overlap and the butted ends 180 degrees apart. Well, after 6 tries: voila! The rest of the muzzle brake is just 'plain' tubular shapes and discs.

Shall I send you the brake so you can cast it up? :wink:
I will fit the completed barrel to my 25 pdr this evening and take some pics. I am working on the counterweights to be clamped to the barrel just behind it. After that is finished I can miss the brake for some time!

Envy you on working on that 17pdr! I will post my walk around photo's of the 17pdr's at the airborne museum this evening.

Cheers,

Marcus

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi Marcus,

I thought maybe 3D printed.......the fact that it is hand made makes it even better, superb work!

While on holiday last week we ended up one day at The Muckleburgh Collection. I stopped been on holiday for 20 minutes and in the words of my other half went into Geek mode when I spotted the 17 pdr. I don't know what she meant as I don't think I took more than 30 or 40 photos............

Best regards

Dave
www.armorpax.net

There used to be a nice banner here till Photobucket lost everything.............................

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

A little more assembly work.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Geek mode? How rude to say such things! :lol:

One of the reasons for posting less on the forum is that I am trying to do some 3D modelling to for instance have the breech and muzzle brake milled on a CNC machine. 3D printing might be a second option, not really thought about that. Also trying to hone my brass soldering skills, on both I still have a lot to learn........ :roll:

Armortek gets better and better! That gun laying system looks very nice. From the sight of it it also is quite accurate.
Barrel shape is a bit off but most of it will be hidden under the protective cover on the 17pdr anyway.

Keep those updates comming!!

Marcus

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

Todays assemblies.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

Almost ready to start detailing.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Initially I wanted to pass on this one, but looking at these parts, well..... :P
The gunners seat needs some serious work though!

Keep that eye candy comming Dave!

Marcus

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi Marcus,

Building straight from the box first this time then adding detail. Seat will be tackled but need to figure out how yet :-)

Best regards

Dave
www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

Started on the detailing. First job was to take the edges off the recoil cradle nose cap to get more of a cast shape. I've also started modifying some of the brake detail from the 25pdr including Marcus's, brake drum which is pretty close to the one on the Toadman 17 Pdr walkround. As with a couple of parts on the PAK 43 I have to make things to fit the existing kit parts so there will need to be a little artistic licence in the brake drums, as I don't have a long enough length of exposed axle to add the detail exactly as it should be.

The Breech ring is more for the Pheasant but should still be just visible in the gap between the breech and top cover in the kit. It will need to be shaped slightly to fit the top cover profile.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

Texture added to brake drum and welded fillets done for spades.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

A bit more work on the 17 Pdr.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

With Bryans PAK 43 finally off the workbench and the backlog of orders cleared, from shows and holidays, I have made a start back on the 17 Pdr.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

Breech parts of the firing mechanism finished. Next will be the firing handle and assembly that goes over the barrel shroud.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

Barring a couple of welds that's the firing mechanism finished.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net