Number of Transoms per Panel

All topics related to Armortek's Bailey Bridge
Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 79 times

Number of Transoms per Panel

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Apologies in advance if this is a daft question...... but have been thinking about dragging my bridge out of storage to build it, and I'm curious about some details.

Photographs of real Bailey Bridges appear to show 2 transoms per panel, one crosses at the end of a panel and one at the mid point. At either end of a bridge there is an extra transom fitted outside of the final panel and held under the clamp on the end post. This is usually the top of the on/off ramp.
Hopefully the photo will illustrate the point I'm trying to make (thanks, Charles, for supplying the original picture in a recent post).
bailey b.jpg
The model appears to have 4 transoms per panel, one at each end and two in the centre. As panels are joined, the transoms at either end of each panel "double up". The same is true at the ends of the bridge, where the transom held under the end post clamp supports the ramp and doubles up with the panel transom.
bailey c.jpg
So.... were bailey bridges always built with single transoms or did it vary depending on intended load? Most pictures suggest fewer transoms were used than in the model, besides which I suspect the load bearing capabilities were determined by the side panels (single, double, double double, etc). Is the Armortek bridge built with (apparently) extra transoms in order to guarantee weight bearing integrity in small scale? Or, is there some other explanation which I'm missing?

Interested to hear any thoughts.

Kevin

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 543 times
Been liked: 574 times

Re: Number of Transoms per Panel

Post by Adrian Harris »

As far as I can recall, it was two transoms per bay up to a 40 ton load (Class 40 bridge ?) and four transoms per bay over 40 ton loads.

Whitefish_Falls_Ontario.jpg

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module and other electronic gadgetry

Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Kevin Hunter »

So, a slightly daft question after all :oops:
Despite many pictures only showing 2 per bay I clearly should have researched further to spot the more "beefed up" versions. Act in haste...... as they say.

As always Adrian, many thanks for your assistance.
Regards
Kevin

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Afternoon all, found this on web which may be of use, apologies if I am talking to the converted.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dl ... 2/mode/2up

Certainly explains the metal ribands though, still working on the wooden ones, lunch ready must go.
Take care

Charles