Local Bailey Bridge

All topics related to Armortek's Bailey Bridge
Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 68 times

Local Bailey Bridge

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Good morning all
I hope you don't mind my sharing with you my local Bailey Bridge. I have known about it for years, cycled over it, paddled under it.

However with my own AT bridge unit, it is seen in a different light. this bridge is situated in Lowther Park, near Penrith and was home to CDL training during WW2. Concrete hard standings can be seen in the area, although a lot have been broken up over the years.

Cheers for now
Charles
bb1a.jpg
bb2a.jpg

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 473 times
Been liked: 1145 times

Re: Local Bailey Bridge

Post by Stephen White »

Great photos Charles. I’d leave calculating bridge classifications to clever people like Sappers but as a Tankie, I just want to know that It’s not going to collapse if I’m the second tank across. (The first generally gets away with it). I believe the length of unsupported span influences the bridge classification and a single - single like this one was able to get to about class 20. The CDL Matilda was class 30 at least. So I’d be looking for somewhere else to cross.
You know it’s a bit iffy when the Sapper iBridge commander wishes you luck as you approach his bridge.

Double - double for the Open Day in September anyone?

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Local Bailey Bridge

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Thank you Stephen for your reply, I believe the Bailey bridge is only use by walkers/cyclist and estate vehicles. There is on the other side of the pack horse bridge another wider set of stone built abutments and possible fording site.

I'll take a picture next time I am there.
Cheers
Charles.