LAST SHIPPING DATE FOR 2019 WILL BE THURSDAY 12TH DECEMBER.
SHIPPING WILL RESUME ON THE 6TH JANUARY 2020.

Quad No. 34 – new owner, new identity

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Chris Hall
Has liked: 122 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Quad No. 34 – new owner, new identity

Post by Chris Hall » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Last December, I did a trade with Phil Woollard, swapping my Panther G for his Morris Quad, limber and 25-pdr field gun. The Panther G was fun to have, but I sort-of got it by accident (long story), and it never fitted with my personal zeitgeist, which can loosely be defined as ‘British Army vehicles in uncommon circumstances’. The Quad is a better fit with that. That's my excuse, anyway :).

Our Phil is a clever chap. As well as doing a nice build, he’s a whizz with the electrical side. Way beyond my skill base ! So I decided to do it ‘by the book’ and swap things for the new Armortek Motion Control Module, which fits in the back (just !). I’ve managed to maintain most of Phil’s ‘clever bits’ though, such as the working fanbelt attached to the lovely replica engine, which I’m now controlling from a proportional channel on the Tx (so it only runs when the engine is on display with the bonnet hinged back).

The setup was originally painted dark green, but then got a blow-over in Desert Sand, with markings for the Desert War. Not my zeitgeist (that word again – Google it !), though. Those who know me know that I’m interested in the more obscure military areas, and WW2 Desert / Normandy / Eastern Front is far too mainstream for me - I'll happily leave that to others. But I’ve had a long-term interest in the Korean War (1950-53), and this is a chance to scratch that itch. It’ll also fit nicely with the current interest in post-WW2 armour.

So No. 34, and its associated limber and gun, is going to become 45th Regiment, Royal Artillery, 29th Independent Infantry Brigade, UN Forces, Korea. More specifically, the 45th were heavily involved in the Battle of the Imjin River (Solma-ri) in April 1951, which is famous for the last stand of the 1st Battalion Gloucester Regiment (the Glorious Glosters). But that overshadows the role of the other units involved – the Royal Ulster Rifles, Northumberland Fusiliers, 45th Regiment RA, 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars (using Centurion III’s), Belgians and Luxembourgers - all of whom managed, at great cost, to hold and repulse overwhelming Chinese forces (3 armies !) and thus save Seoul. If you don’t know it it’s a fascinating, and humbling, story.

So that’s where I’m going. The electricals are now largely sorted out, but the historical research is taking me in interesting directions. I now know more than I ever wanted to about immediate post-WW2 British Army paint – yes, I’ve been researching how paint dries ! :roll:

All the best,

Chris
2 x Mark IV's (Abt. 14 Beutepanzer Liesel and F30 Flaming Fire II)
Morris Quad, 2 x limbers and 1 x 25-pdr (45RA, Korea 1951)
M3 Lee (25th Dragoons, Burma 1944)

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 317 times
Been Liked: 640 times

Re: Quad No. 34 – new owner, new identity

Post by Stephen White » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm

How refreshing Chris, to bring something new to the party. Sounds like you could do with all four volumes of Dick Taylor's Warpaint, must be something in there about Korean vintage drop-short kit. (Sorry, I meant long range snipers). No, must stop saying that. Did I tell you the one about the Gunner and the monkey.......

Stephen

Chris Hall
Has liked: 122 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Post by Chris Hall » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am

Stephen -

You are a little stirrer, aren't you ? :lol:

The 'firing safely from the rear' :wink: boys were acknowledged to be an integral part of the Solma-ri battle, even though the 25-pdr wasn't really powerful enough by 1951. The essential fire support for the infantry was maintained throughout the 4-day battle - at one point, a single gun was used to fire directly at the charging Chinese over open sights, at a range of only 150 yards, under the command of Lt. George Truel (promoted to Captain after the action). During the battle 45 Field Regiment lost 7 Officers and 29 men, mostly from Forward OP attached to the infantry units.

For Solma-ri, the Glosters and 170th Independent Mortar Battery RA were awarded a US Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation - however, this was widely felt to be for the whole 29 Brigade. For 45 RA numerous awards were made - MC's, MM's and MID's, and also US Silver and Bronze Stars. But the ultimate award has to be the George Medal awarded to Captain Acton Henry Gordon "Spud" Gibbon of H Troop for refusing to divulge information while a Prisoner of War, despite extreme torture.

And the Quads were liberally stocked with Lee-Enfields, Stens and Brens for point defence - not just for hanging laundry over ..... :wink:

And there, M'Lud, the defence rests :P
2 x Mark IV's (Abt. 14 Beutepanzer Liesel and F30 Flaming Fire II)
Morris Quad, 2 x limbers and 1 x 25-pdr (45RA, Korea 1951)
M3 Lee (25th Dragoons, Burma 1944)

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 317 times
Been Liked: 640 times

Post by Stephen White » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:27 am

Yes, military humour can seem a bit strange but..... to be serious, Gunners are very much up the sharp end. Not so sharp as the Royal Armoured Corps.... but sharp none the less.

George Truell was a very model of a quietly spoken gentleman. He ran the Tactical Doctrine Retrieval Cell at the Army Staff College when I was a student there (and I think was still there when I returned later as a member of the Directing Staff). He treated students and staff alike, with consummate good humour and unfailing attention. He hid his past in action well.

Did you know he commissioned Terance Cuneo to paint a picture of the action on the Imjin when he was in command of 45 Regt RA?

S