Dave B's Quad

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Dave Backway
Been Liked: 3 times

Dave B's Quad

Post by Dave Backway » Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi All,

I thought it was about time that I posted some pictures of my Quad build and seek advice on a slight issue I'm having at present, that being doors that spring open. I have not installed the door latches as yet, however both doors seem to spring open, is there an easy fix? Is it as simple as adding a thin spacer between the hinge and the main body frame?

Now the weather has warmed up, I have managed to under coat the main body panels and start putting the body together with some extra little details both internally and externally. There are still lots to add including the Armorpax kit.

It is amazing how heavy the Quad is at this stage and I still have to add the finishing touches and the internal electronics and batteries. At some point I will have to tackle the wiring and control setup, which is something of a mystery to me.

Best wishes to All

Dave
Attachments
DSC_8054 (800x530).jpg
Extra tow bar details
DSC_8054 (800x530).jpg (194.86 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
DSC_8053 (800x530).jpg
Squared off internal edges and added brass plates
DSC_8053 (800x530).jpg (198.12 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
DSC_8051 (800x530).jpg
Impressive nose
DSC_8051 (800x530).jpg (245.05 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
DSC_8050 (800x530).jpg
Filled window opening in the door
DSC_8050 (800x530).jpg (250.95 KiB) Viewed 2484 times

Dave Backway

Re: Dave B's Quad

Post by Dave Backway » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi all,

It's been some time since I last posted, but have made some progress adding more details, including replicating the external fixings, nuts, washers and screw heads. Also been working on the removable rear roof panel to gain access to the electronics without lifting off the body, which seems to fit well and will be secured via the top bolts and the spare wheel fixing. The only thing to do is figure out where to hide the on/off switch.

I have been looking at many references to ascertain whether the quad was fitted with a radio and if so what type and how was the ariel fitted or would it have been a mobile radio. Does anyone have any information regarding this as I would be very grateful.

Best regards

Dave
Attachments
IMG_2681.JPG
Imposing nose
IMG_2677.JPG
Fuel pump and plumbing, wiring still to be fixed in place
IMG_2676.JPG
Roof details still to be completed

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 395 times
Been Liked: 797 times

Post by Phil Woollard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am

Looking good Dave, those doors that spring open like you said just need a spacer behind the hinge mount or place a thin metal rod between the hinges / door along their length ( 3mm rod would do) then close the door against the rod and door post applying even pressure, this will allow the hinge area to ever so slightly deform/realign its self and after a couple of attempts the doors should close nicely. A slight spring is good as this keeps the door locks tight and so stay closed when operating at shows.
Ref the radio, I believe it would have been a portable job in just one vehicle of the troop, the command vehicle, the orders being shouted between the tractors in the field and as we all know all gunners need to be shouted at very loudly for obvious reasons!
hope this helps Phil.
Mechanical engineer, Pyrotechnic technician, and small time farmer.
Youtube channel, Magpiespyro. For 1/6th scale video action!
Email; magpiespyro@hotmail.com

sean kerambrun
Has liked: 17 times

Post by sean kerambrun » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi DAve,

Looks like you have put a lot of time in to the detailing and it looks great. I am looking forward to doing some detailing in the future. You work is inspiring

Cheers

Sean

Dave Backway

Post by Dave Backway » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks Phil for the answers to my queries and I think I will place a thin shim under the hinge rather than trying to ease the side. I will also try an research the radio type to replicate it as a mobile unit.

Hi Sean, thanks for the comments and I will look out for your posts

Best wishes

Dave

Marcus Kwa
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Marcus Kwa » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Considering the quad as my next project, these pics are surely wetting my appetite!
Cheers,
Marcus

Dave Backway

Post by Dave Backway » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi All,

Don't you just love the warm summer days, perfect for adding some colour to the bare metal and you get the sense of things to come and the vision of the final colour. Finished and painted the chassis with a few extra bits. I will now turn my full attention to the body with the plan to complete before the end of the warm dry summer weather (normally 3 days), which then gives me the autumn to complete the electrics and weathering.

Regards

Dave B
Attachments
IMG_46251.JPG
Painted chassis
IMG_4627.JPG
Body waiting for my full attention