How to avoid driving gear problems....

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:26 am

Problem: When driving in heavy terrain, a lot of pressure (torque) is exerted on the final drive. This leads to movement of the pin (key), which then mushrooms the drive axle. Due to this, the Taper Lock breaks. Happened twice with my King Tiger and once with my Elefant.
a1.jpg
mushrooming leads to the breakage of the taper lock:
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
Last edited by Peter Quambusch on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:28 am

Solution: Washer and 5 x 10 cap screw to hold the pin in place:
a5.jpg
a4.jpg
Since installing, I never had the problem again.
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

florian rudolf
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 am
Has liked: 100 times
Been Liked: 326 times
Contact:

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by florian rudolf » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Perfeckt solution Peter. :D

simon_manning
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:51 pm
Location: new forest,hampshire,u.k.
Been Liked: 502 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by simon_manning » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:55 pm

It's always best to drive the Bigger Tank's with care, as the real German Tank crews were instructed, the big Armortek tanks behave very much like the real thing, stresses and strains to be aware of while Driving, The lighter models, stug, panzer 111, panzer 1V, even the Panther, Jadgpanther are a bit more forgiving, but the heavy vehicles, Kingtiger, Jadgtiger, chieftain, centurion, Tiger, a bit more careful, regards simon manning.

User avatar
Gerhard Michel
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: near Nuremberg, Germany
Been Liked: 120 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Gerhard Michel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Hello Peter!

Well, I think that a tank is a tank and must be able to be driven like a tank, also if being 1/6 scale: logging small trees up to 2 m of height, crushing hedges and so on. This may cause some smaller damages, which may be repaired. That's real live of a tank driver (also full scale) :twisted: Therefore I appreciate your solution making your drive train stronger to avoid that kind of damage.
kind regards
Gerhard
____________________________________________________________________
1/6 Scale models: Jagdpanther (AT), Jagdtiger (BT), Königstiger (Porsche turret, NH), Königstiger (Production turret, BT), Pz. IV (SH)

Don Gray
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Don Gray » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:14 am

Peter,

Very interested in this mod for my Jadgtiger.

I think I'm not understanding something, how does this actually keep the pin in place?

yves mouton
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Belgium
Has liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by yves mouton » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:41 am

Hello Don

The taper lock keep the pin on the drive axle, the taper lock is a cone chape and the inner side
of the sprocket is also a cone chape. You lock the taper lock in the sprocket by 2 grub screws.
To unlock the taper lock you screw out the 2 grub scews and there is a 3 hole there you put
1 of the grub srews in the hole and the taper lock comes out of the sprocket.

Best regards Yves

Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Don Gray wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:14 am
Peter,

Very interested in this mod for my Jadgtiger.

I think I'm not understanding something, how does this actually keep the pin in place?
Hello Don,

The washer keeps the pin (key) in place. W/o the washer, it will start to move outwards.

Regards

Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:52 pm

simon_manning wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:55 pm
It's always best to drive the Bigger Tank's with care, as the real German Tank crews were instructed, the big Armortek tanks behave very much like the real thing, stresses and strains to be aware of while Driving, The lighter models, stug, panzer 111, panzer 1V, even the Panther, Jadgpanther are a bit more forgiving, but the heavy vehicles, Kingtiger, Jadgtiger, chieftain, centurion, Tiger, a bit more careful, regards simon manning.
Thanks for your advice, Simon! That´s exactly what I was looking for... :D :D :D
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:57 pm
Hello Peter!

Well, I think that a tank is a tank and must be able to be driven like a tank, also if being 1/6 scale: logging small trees up to 2 m of height, crushing hedges and so on. This may cause some smaller damages, which may be repaired. That's real live of a tank driver (also full scale) :twisted: Therefore I appreciate your solution making your drive train stronger to avoid that kind of damage.
Hello Gerhard, I fully agree with you!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

Christoffer Ahlfors
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Has liked: 309 times
Been Liked: 111 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 pm

So, if the key has worked its way half way out, the excess load will start chewing on the shaft? :shock:
Klotzen, nicht kleckern (Guderian on panzer tactics, but the way I interpret it - it applies to a great many things in life)

Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Christoffer Ahlfors wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 pm
So, if the key has worked its way half way out, the excess load will start chewing on the shaft? :shock:
Jap, the further it moves out, the greater the mushrooming becomes.
Last edited by Peter Quambusch on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

Don Gray
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Don Gray » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 am

Peter Quambusch wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 pm
Christoffer Ahlfors wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 pm
So, if the key has worked its way half way out, the excess load will start chewing on the shaft? :shock:
Jap, the furthe it moves out, the greater the mushrooming becomes.
This explains it! Thank you Peter. Mod added to the list. One more question (I always have one more question): How do you then retain the sprocket hub cap?

Peter Quambusch
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Hagen, Germany
Been Liked: 173 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by Peter Quambusch » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:56 am

Don Gray wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 am
Peter Quambusch wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 pm
Christoffer Ahlfors wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 pm
So, if the key has worked its way half way out, the excess load will start chewing on the shaft? :shock:
Jap, the furthe it moves out, the greater the mushrooming becomes.
This explains it! Thank you Peter. Mod added to the list. One more question (I always have one more question): How do you then retain the sprocket hub cap?
Hi Don,

Nice to hear from you again. How far is your JT project?
To answer your question, I use grease on the KT and Tigers hub caps, the Elefant´s are held in place by cone head screws. Panthers have not been coverted yet, but will let you know, once done. For the JT, I have something diffrerent in mind.... I have to test it first, to see if it works. If so, I will post it asap.

Cheers

Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-)

User avatar
John Clarke
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:06 pm
Location: Staffordshire
Been Liked: 610 times

Re: How to avoid driving gear problems....

Post by John Clarke » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm

This might help fitting the taper locks correctly. Pop this into your web browser. It will also show you the correct torque settings for tightening up the grub screws. I should add if the key fills the key way head to toe there is a fair chance you could crack the taper lock when you tighten up. :cry:

Fenner Taper Lock Installationwww.fptgroup.com › dss › docs › 690_06_Fenner_Taper...PDF
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Post Reply