Setting up RC Systems

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
Tim Page
Has liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 105 times

Re: Setting up RC Systems

Post by Tim Page » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi Stephen, I was considering one of those Turnigy systems but then decided to get Spektrum because i thought it would be simpler.
Ive never really been comfortable with any of the 6+ channel systems tbh.
The 4-6 channel systems tend to be a lot more straightforward but the manufacturers seem convinced that anyone wanting to use an 8 or 9 channel system is a rocket scientist so go out of their way to make the blasted things overly complicated.

I think I would really like to get a full sized SDkfz.302 and operate on a wired controller like the Germans did all those years ago.
It is probably about the same size as an Armortek King Tiger.

Cheers
Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G #0035
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 435 times
Been Liked: 1110 times

Post by Stephen White » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Tim

Although OpenTx is a very capable bit of software, with a lot of advanced features, it can be daunting at first sight. There is a very good, simple to understand guide available commercially and the website has a lot of online teaching material and guides. Better still, the model aircraft and drone worlds have really embraced it and generated some quite excellent guides to setup and features on YouTube. (Of course there are also the pyscho-toxic, downright weird YouToobers too, to be avoided at all costs). One good one I'd recommend is "Painless360", a UK based chap who does excellent tutorials. There are others. Like all these things, they repay a bit of effort.

Gerhard Michel
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by Gerhard Michel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 pm

Well, my tanks are no rockets, but I need at least 10 channels to control such a model:

1. Driving
2. Steering
3. Turret rotation
4. Gun elevation
5. EMK brake adjustment for downhill driving (not needed when using worm gear motors like Armortek)
6. Engine sound start / stop (cold and warm)
7. Gun firing, muzzle flash, recoil
8. MG firing, muzzle flash
9. Light, blackout light
10. Horn

Optional there are:

11. Commander's head / arm moving functionality
12. Radio messages
13. Music player for pauses in the fighting on / off (a nice feature of Beier's sound module)
14. Music play next / last

There are models needing up to 30 channels (cartridge case ejection, hatch cover moving, crew arising / descending, muffler glowing, backfire and so on)
kind regards
Gerhard

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 373 times
Been Liked: 133 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Animation sure adds to the fun! :D
A little too much is about right...