Setting up RC Systems

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
Armortek
Site Admin
Has liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 201 times

Setting up RC Systems

Post by Armortek » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 pm

The Knowledge Base Topic on setting up Spectrum RC System now has an explanation of some basic radio stuff, which can be confusing if you're setting up a system for the first time. It's a subject that comes up regularly, so I've now included a simple explanation of the relationship between radio channels, controls, modes and mixing. I hope it does the trick but would welcome any comments, particularly if we can make it even simpler.

I've not changed the Topic for Futaba as fewer people seem to be using their radios.

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... 7cc#p49290

Thanks to Adrian for your recent input to a thread.

Stephen
Armortek

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Re: Setting up RC Systems

Post by Mark Heaps » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Just read through the link and found it good. Easy and enjoyable to read, simple to follow.
2 comments however.
1) Setting up the Failsafe positions - Removing the bind plug is mentioned twice. It should be clarified at what stage the bind plug should be removed.
2) It fails to mention that other modes are available which effectively switch the controls between left stick and right stick to cater for example for left-handed people who may prefer to control tank movement with left stick and turret with right stick.

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I'll add your points. Stephen
Armortek

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 75 times
Been Liked: 97 times

Post by Adrian Harris » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Another change is that the new range of Spektrum receivers with built-in telemetry also now come with a bind button, rather than needing a special plug.

Adrian.
R.I.P Margaret I.L.Y

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 101 times

Post by Vince Cutajar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:07 am

Hi Stephen

Just to advise that the DX8 has both the ELEVON and also the ELEVON B selections. I used ELEVON as per instructions but would be interested in knowing the difference between the two.

Set pre-set failsafe using the receiver documentation and as Adrian said did not use the bind plug.

Vince

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 75 times
Been Liked: 97 times

Post by Adrian Harris » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 am

The difference between ELEVON and ELEVON B are that the directions are reversed.

In ELEVON, the Right Aileron goes to 100% when the stick is pushed forwards
In ELEVON-B the Left Aileron goes to 100% when the stick is pushed forwards.

I usually have a problem when setting up single stick, whereby the tank moves forwards and backwards correctly but turns left when I want it to turn right and vice versa.

I've always meant to sit down and write out the best way to defeat this, as it can be done by changing the Elevon setting, or by reversing the channels in the transmitter, or by reversing the connections on the motors, or by swapping the left and right aileron connections on the receiver, and I've never made a note of the simplest way to do it.

Adrian.
R.I.P Margaret I.L.Y

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:29 am

Vince, Adrian, I'm wary of adding confusion here but the simple explanation is that in aeroplane use, ElevonB reverses the direction of the Elevator function. It's to do with the way the mixing is programmed. ElevonB was introduced to allow for canard configurations. For our setup, ElevonB should give you the correct sense. If it doesn't, the simplest way to correct is to swop the leads plugged into the Ail and Elev sockets on the Rx.
Armortek

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks for that info. If mine starts going in the wrong direction most probably that's what I will try first : change from elevon to elevon b. Will keep you posted on what works best with the DX8.

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Today I temporarily put most of the electronics in the tank. Did a quick test and tracks are going in the right directions (also in turns). So I guess with the help of my beginners luck, Elevon setting on the transmitter worked for me.

Vince