Shows at the Tank Museum Bovington, 2019

Forum for discussion and arrangements of meetings
Armortek
Site Admin
Been Liked: 473 times

Shows at the Tank Museum Bovington, 2019

Post by Armortek » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:06 pm

2019 Shows

The Holiday Season is over and it’s time to think about this year’s shows, time (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere at least), to lift the winter gloom. We have a long-established presence at shows in UK and Germany and it would be great to see some new international action elsewhere in 2019. Your ideas would be very welcome.

Chris Hall and Stephen White have kicked things off by talking with the new Events Staff at the Tank Museum, Bovington. They see our models as a great attraction and want to support us.

The Bovington shows are as follows:

South West Model Show: 16/17 February
Tiger Day: 27 April
TankFest: 28/30 June
Tiger Day: 14 September
South West Model Show: 28/29 September

[glow]South West Model Shows:[/glow] Armortek will not have a formal company presence at either of the two South West Model Shows this year, however, we have registered and have been given a good running area in the Tank Story Hall for customers' models. We'll be asking if you'd like to attend in a separate post shortly. Both days are available but we're focussing on the Sunday. We'll need confirmation from you by 1st Feb and you will need to provide proof of insurance.

This year, the Museum intends to focus on the Trade Stands on the Saturdays, while the Sundays will be orientated more towards entertaining the visitors.

- Running Area - For the Model Shows, when the weather is more likely to be cold and wet, Bovington will grant us a ‘prime pitch’ in the Tank Story Hall, between the Cromwell and Sherman Firefly. This area is well-lit, warm, easily barricaded off while allowing plenty of viewing points for the Public (including the ramp going up to the Restaurant).

[glow]Tiger Day[/glow]: At the moment Armortek plans on having a presence at either one or both Tiger Days and is planning on the possibility of offering the public a ‘drive a tank’ experience (appropriately the Tiger 131, under supervision, possibly with a “Buddy Box”) for a small donation to a tank related charity.

- Running Areas. The Tiger Days and TankFest are almost certain to be based outside, using our established running area on the Car Park. See below.

[glow]TankFest[/glow]: TankFest will again be the big one, running over three days. We can reveal that agreement has been secured to bring to UK two very rare vehicles and negotiations continue to bring the jewel in the crown……..

We get a good deal from the Tank Museum. For our tickets, it’s understood we will provide an attraction for the Museum’s visitors. If that’s to continue at current levels, we do have to provide value. On the other hand, we’re actively discussing how the Museum might support us and we’re focussing on the possibility of an Armortek private “behind the scenes” visit later in the season. We’ll let you know once we’ve got things agreed.

Outdoor Running Areas:
The Museum would like to work with us to provide more interest for visitors. We’ve discussed the possibility of providing a driving experience and having running slots at specific times, maybe three in a day. These might extend to some form of display, if you’re up for it. Our range of models extends beyond what the Tank Museum can offer. We have all three types of Tiger 1, we have Tiger variants, including the SturmTiger, we could demonstrate WW1 trench crossing drills, drive a FAMO or 251, cross a Bailey Bridge, there are many possibilities. Your ideas please!

TankFest is our main effort, to support Armortek marketing and enjoy the show. We’d like to build some good, realistic-looking terrain pieces – trenches, river crossings for the Bailey Bridge, hull-down positions, things like that. Anyone good at carpentry? It’s hoped that Bovington will store them securely for us, so transportation won’t become a problem.

Historical displays. These are some ideas to give the public a more interesting and focussed display:
• WW1 – trench crossing at Cambrai (Mark IV)
• WW2 – the main theatres: post-D Day, Eastern Front, Desert (Tiger, Panther, Comet, Sherman, T34, Pz III and IV, Lee / Grant)
• Supporting the Tanks: infantry, artillery, recovery (Rolls Royce, Quads, halftracks, Kompact Kits, BergPanther, Famo)
• Forgotten Theatres and Wars: Far East, Pacific, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War (Lee, Centurion)
• Cavalcade, showing tank evolution (in historical order)
• The Tiger Story: What’s the difference between Early / Middle / Late Tiger 1’s, and Porsche / Henschel Tiger II’s ? What role did the SturmTiger perform ?

We’re aiming for maybe three 20-minute slots in a day. Now, if there is a volunteer to speak some words and entertain the crowds, please step forward (or drop a friend in it). It’s not our intention to kill our fun but by running meaningful groups of models at specific times, we can add to the public interest without killing our free running time.

And finally …..
We’ll work on making signing up for shows less of a faff, subject to complying with all that data protection stuff. If you’re on for a show or two, to kick things off, please:

- Read the “Guidelines for Operating Armortek Models in Public here:
http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... 058de5e7ce

- Organise your £5M public liability insurance for 2019 and send a scan/photo of your certificate to Chris Hall via PM or contact him to get an email address.

So, hopefully, you can see what we’re working towards and wish to take part in it. New faces are very welcome indeed. We’re aiming to promote the best of Armortek, particularly if there’s some history attached. We’re looking for good examples of building, engineering, painting, historical research ..... anything you’d be proud to show off and even explain to the General Public. And we’re not just talking high-end conversions – ‘out of the box’ is welcome if it’s done well.

The aim is to keep it fun, while singing for our supper.
We’re open to your ideas and feedback to make this work

See you at a Show !

Stephen and Chris
Armortek

Armortek
Site Admin

Re: Shows at the Tank Museum Bovington, 2019

Post by Armortek » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:44 am

Bump
Armortek

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 am

Bump
Armortek

Chris Hall
Has liked: 104 times
Been Liked: 108 times

Post by Chris Hall » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:38 am

C'mon, Chaps !

We obviously need your attendance (see the separate post on the South West Model Show on 16/17 February), but we also want your ideas and input on how we can make this work. The more people who step forward, the easier and better it becomes for all of us.

Don't be shy ..... :wink:

Chris
2 x Mark IV's (Abt. 14 Beutepanzer Liesel and F30 Flaming Fire II)
Morris Quad, 2 x limbers and 1 x 25-pdr (45RA, Korea 1951)
M3 Lee (25th Dragoons, Burma 1944)

andyquirot
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by andyquirot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 am

Hi all
If i was to come over for Tiger Day: 27 April dose anybody know anywhere nearby to stay I.E. Hotel/Guest House etc.
As for me its a 3 day trip 1 day to get the and 1 day back flying into gatwick.

Or if i bring a van and tank can you sleep in a van in the U.K.

Regards Andy Q
Jersey Channel Islands

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 282 times
Been Liked: 509 times

Post by Stephen White » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am

Andy, it would be great to see you at Tiger Day. We can get free tickets if you bring a model, otherwise it's full price. We'll probably have a pitch on the main car park and camping facilities are usually possible. I can also recommend this B&B:

http://worgretmanor.co.uk

Or this pub:

http://www.thecountrymaninndorset.com

Stephen

Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by Kevin Hunter » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:30 am

Andy, at a push it can be done in a day - from here at least. Red eye to Southampton and last one back, hire car journey to Bovvy 1 hr to 1.5 hr depending on traffic. Granted it’s not as much fun as a stopover and I’m only assuming you still have a Southampton route. Just putting it out there that it needn’t be 3 days?
Cheers
Kevin, “the other island”

Pete Nash
Has liked: 369 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Post by Pete Nash » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am

Count me in foe TankFest with a Mk.IV and Panzer III

Pete

Nigel Margetson

Post by Nigel Margetson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 am

What carpentry help are you looking for? Might be able to help with this. Regards Nigel

mark lawson
Has liked: 1071 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Post by mark lawson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Had a great day with the weather and members at Bovington today! I have only taken few pictures will try and take more tomorrow
Werkstatt - 5 Panzer parts. werkstatt.five@gmail.com
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

Tim Carr
Has liked: 334 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Tim Carr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 am

Hope that everyone has a Great Time. Lots of pics if you please.

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:59 pm

There are two remaining shows at the Tank Museum this year, Tiger Day 12 on Sat, 14th Sep and the SW Model Show on 28-29 Sep. Earlier in the year, I registered the Armortek community for all the shows and space will be available for us. We now need to let the Museum know if we have anyone interested in either show.

Between Kian, Chris Hall and myself, we've organised all the Bovington shows to date. We'll be busy however preparing for the Armortek Open Day on the 15th and won't attend Tiger Day. If anyone would like to go, I have the contract and joining instructions and will gladly pass them on. Otherwise, I'll be letting the Museum know early next week that we won't be attending.

Similarly, we will need to know by PM or post here if there is any interest in the SW Model Show. If there is, I'll talk to the Museum about a suitable running area.

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:51 pm

With one exception, I have had total silence on Tiger Day so I will be telling the Tank Museum that they don't need to allocate any space to Armortek Customers. We'll keep the option open for the Model Show but if you do want to attend that, please let me or Chris Hall know as soon as you can. These things take time and effort to arrange with the Museum and can't be turned on and off close to the show.

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm

SW Model Show, The Tank Museum, 28/29th Sep.

This is the last show of the season at Bovington and we are currently registered to attend as Armortek customers. We should have a running area in the Tank Story Hall. Could I please ask that you let me or Chris Hall as soon as you can if you would like to attend? Realistically, I doubt there will be much appetite for attending both days. If that's the case, I'm happy to say to the Museum that we'll only attend on whichever day is most favoured.

So, could you please contact us by email via Armortek or better still by PM or a reply to this post to let us know your intentions?

Having had to scratch the last Tiger Day, it would be pity not to be represented at the Model Show. Although there is a lot the Museum could do to make the shows more attractive to us, it also makes it harder for us to negotiate better running areas if our attendance is uncertain. Over the winter, it would be good to hear your suggestions about improvements which would make the shows more attractive. Top of my list would be the establishment of a proper, dedicated running area for one sixth models, in which we might be prepared to invest time and effort to create a "Tankodrome" worthy of our models.

simon_manning
Been Liked: 98 times

Post by simon_manning » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 pm

i would be up for the saturday visit and bring a model, i am not much of a runner, (as you know) but would like to attend, its always good company and nice to see the regulars before the winter sets in, regards simon.