David Makaras

Post by David Makaras » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:00 am

Once again thanks.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 326 times
Been Liked: 663 times

Post by Stephen White » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 am

Sarah thanks. I'm inspired to have a go. Your photos are wonderfluly clear. I'll try using a slitting saw to make the cuts, holding the work in the rotary table.

The lifting hooks on the upper deck need some very small castellated nuts and they're quite prominent.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks :D, glad I can contribute something. I will be very interested in how Stephen will make the slots, as they are are the hardest thing to get right.

Sarah
'I reject your reality and substitute my own'

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Well the Lower Hull has now been painted in etch primer and put together, at last.......

I've fitted the Cone Nuts on the Hull Sides where they should go, though I have noticed that Stephen has a few more on than mine.

The panel brackets still need a little fitting before they can have the fixing holes filled.

I'm pleased with the Starter Cover and as the thumb screws work, I'm wondering whether to put some detail behind it.

The Escape hatches fitted quite well, though I'm looking for some thin rubber to act as a gasket to stop any water getting through the gap.

When the Return Roller housings were assembled I found I needed a spacer to stop them from binding. I used these 4mm shims, which worked out great, 0.4mm behind each retaining washer. The pack includes 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 mm shims.

More later on.

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Frazer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi Guys,

My Panzer III build has come on recently. I've managed to spray the hull in primer and it's base coat, along with quite a few other component parts.

I've finally got round to add the strip along the front of the suspension arms, which represents the casting line, and also apply some primer as well.

I've also added small bolts to the suspension units, I still need to add the covers with the big 'O' to the front yet. The wide angle lens has distorted this picture a bit, the suspension units don't actually bend!

I managed to find some rubber gaiters to cover the idler adjusting bolt.

I also added a thin gasket to the side escape hatches.

More to come later
:D

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Frazer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

David Da Costa

Post by David Da Costa » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Looks great Sarah, a very clean build. Your suspension arms are excellent!.

Regards

David

Dale jordan
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Dale jordan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Well Done Sarah . All your hard work is paying off , The detail is spot on . How are you doing your fake welds ? . I love your suspension arms . Dale

Derek Attree
Has liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Derek Attree » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:08 am

Hi Sarah
That is a very nice looking job you have done
so far I think its one of the best I have seen.

Well done

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Sarah,

Great looking Panzer III coming along very nicely, I'm enjoying following your progress on above kit, super, keep the pics coming!

Cheers
Ian
from Glasgow, Scotland.

simon_manning
Been Liked: 178 times

Post by simon_manning » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 pm

very nicely done sarah,the details are great, regards simon manning.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 271 times

Post by Adrian Harris » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 pm

The details are really adding to this tank :D

I've been trying to find a set of small gaiters for the linkage on my 222 but haven't been able to find any small enough :cry:

Adrian.

Tim Bowman
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Tim Bowman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Sarah

Excellent looking part. as others have already said, your swing arms are clean and perfect looking.

Look forward to your next post.

Kind regards
Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your king words :D It is easier for me as I can go off the excellent work that Stephen, Jeffrey and others have done. I am pleased with the results so far.

Hi Dale, I'm going to try a few different materials such as P-38 and Milliput. I've used P-38 to fill all the recessed joining holes, it was very good but it did go off very quick!

I got the gaiters from ebay, I think they are for a model boat. I did struggle to find anything slightly larger.

I did struggle with getting the embossed 'O' on the inspection plate on the suspension units. I eventually came up with a method which works reasonably well. Fist get some brass tube and shape it to for the correct profile. Then draw around the brass tube on a piece of wood, cutting a shallow recess into the surface:

With a bit of aluminium sheet over the recess and using pencil marks to align the brass tube, tap it gently so the aluminium is shaped into the recess. A bit of trial and error is required to get the correct amount of embossing. The aluminium sheet needs to be oversize at this point, otherwise the material gets very distorted.

It might be best to make more pieces than you require and then select the most similar. The pieces shown in the photo below are all trial pieces, the best ones went on the shocks.

Cutting the inspection plate out with scissors proved a little difficult, so I sharpened up a larger diameter brass tube and used this to cut the inspection plate out.

The inspection plate on the suspension unit:

I hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Frazer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi Sarah.
Brilliant I love the embossed inspection covers and the how to do it sequence very ingenious ... trouble is you keep raising the bar :lol: .
Cheers Paul
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop