Post by Brian Leach » Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Nice job Sarah!

I like the fit: very tight, good radii

Thanks

Brian

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I've done a bit more on my Panzer III, with the armoured cover and securing caps for the inertia starter. Took a while to do, but it's come out quite well, though I did 'practice' :wink: on some earlier securing caps.

Next job is to make some smaller cone nuts for the bottom of the rear hull panel.

Regards,

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Frazer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own'

David Da Costa

Post by David Da Costa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Looks very nice Sarah.

David

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 210 times
Been Liked: 344 times

Post by Stephen White » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Sarah - real quality machining and you've got the open end right. I'm envious. Your Pz III will be a treat to see.

I hope you have a better idea about completion dates than I do with mine. I'm conscious that Gill and Mark have already decided on the next tank to follow the Comet and that mine will arrive in September or so. My Pz III is giving so much good stuff to do that it might take years to complete. I suppose for some of us, that's the attraction?

Regards

Stephen

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi Stephen and David,

Thanks for your comments about the cover, I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

I don't think I'm any better with estimating completion dates than you are Stephen, as I had expected to have it finished before my Tiger turned up! I am enjoying making and modifying bits for my Panzer III a lot more than I thought I would. It will be nice to finish it, but I do really enjoy the research side and then working out how I am going to make the different bits and pieces. it's a good challenge :D

Regards,

Sarah

David Makaras

Post by David Makaras » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 am

Sarah Frazer wrote:It will be nice to finish it, but I do really enjoy the research side and then working out how I am going to make the different bits and pieces. it's a good challenge :D

Regards,

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

I'm impressed with your ability to meet the challenges presented.

Cheers...
Last edited by David Makaras on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Guys,

More progress on the Panzer :D

I've finished everything on the Rear Plate, which includes turning down some brass screws to make three smaller cone nuts, adding Steve's cone nuts, a couple of hex bolts and the cover for where the stater handle goes.

I've also finished the domed cover for the fan belt access. I might try and make some smaller castle nuts for it. It's made in one piece by cutting at the surface at various angles, then using a file and abrasive paper to finish rounding it off.

The sketch shows the four angles which were cut into the domed cover blank and measurements across the cut, to show how far to go. As can be seen on the far right hand sketch, there wasn't a lot of material to take off with a file.

More soon...

Regards,

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Frazer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 104 times

Post by Jeffrey Goff » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Sarah, I am really impressed with your machining and drafting skills, you make it look so easy, when I made my domed cover,it never occurred to me to machine it from he solid, I just domed a flat sheet and silver soldered it to the back plate
regards
Jeff

Nick Farrugia

Post by Nick Farrugia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 pm

hello sarah
i would just like to say that you are doing a great job
i only wish i was as skilled as you are ,keep up the good work
best wishes
nick

David Makaras

Post by David Makaras » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Sarah,

Amazing work.
Time for you to get a lathe since you are obviously a serious modeler.

Cheers...

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 119 times
Been Liked: 183 times

Post by Adrian Harris » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:21 am

Great looking rear deck Sarah.

I find it very interesting that all the people who have attempted the domed cover have gone about it in different ways :D

Adrian.

Lawrence Godson

Post by Lawrence Godson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Hello Sarah,
I'm keenly interested in milling machine set up procedures. From one who has had no formal machine shop classes and not even a machinist mentor I think set up is one of the most important keys to success. Could you tell us how you hold the part at the various angles and what did you use to get the rotation during the cuts?
Thanks
Lawrence Godson

Sarah Frazer

Post by Sarah Frazer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:33 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments about my machining work. I am quite pleased with how things have gone so far :D

I did make the domed cover on a lathe, I should have taken some photographs as I went along, I will do next time. I have done some CAD images to show how it's done though.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Regards,

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Frazer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

David Makaras

Post by David Makaras » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:52 am

Lawrence Godson wrote:Hello Sarah,
I'm keenly interested in milling machine set up procedures. From one who has had no formal machine shop classes and not even a machinist mentor I think set up is one of the most important keys to success.
Thanks
Same here. Don't ask me why but I always put metalwork into the too hard basket and chose woodwork instead. 40 years later I am finding it is simply a matter of applying oneself, not that I am suggesting skill/craftsmanship doesn't play a significant part.

David Makaras

Post by David Makaras » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:33 am

Sarah Frazer wrote:Hi Guys,

I did make the domed cover on a lathe, I should have taken some photographs as I went along, I will do next time. I have done some CAD images to show how it's done though.

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

As you can see I know nothing about using a metal lathe. I wasn't aware you couldn't "freehand" metal with acceptable accuracy the way you might with wood. I have never used a wooden lathe either, btw.