My Panzer III is on it's way

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
Post Reply
David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 am

Thanks guys.

I think I will make a spacer (about 5.5mm thick) which will also make it more accurate in appearance.

I received Steve Winstone castle nuts and tow ropes and brackets today - once again Steve's work is fantastic!

David

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 am

The spacer is made and fitted.

I have finished the spaced armor for the glacis plate and added extra castle nuts along the bottom edge and also added the "spot" welds on the side.

Today I made the first set of engine vent brackets and fitted them, I am quite pleased with the result.

Four more sets to make and fit.

I also filled in the original hinge holes as I will be using Clive's excellent hinges which have different hole spacing.

David

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 am

The first engine cover is now in place on the PIII.

Clive's hinges look great!

David


Image

Sarah Frazer
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:12 am
Location: Bristol

Post by Sarah Frazer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi David,

I've been following the build of your Panzer III, it's coming along very well :D

Looking forward to see how you weather the paint finish.


Regards,

Sarah
'I reject your reality and substitute my own'

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks Sarah,
Looking forward to see how you weather the paint finish.
Yes so am I. It's the part of the build I am the most nervous about, so we will see how it turns out.

David

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Just a reminder, for those following my build, that there are a lot more progress photographs on my website.

David

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:10 pm

The engine access doors are now all done and on the hull.

I am now working on adding Steve Winstone's tow cable brackets.

David

Image

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:28 pm

One of the mudguards is now finished. I replaced the hinges supplied in the kit with more accurate piano hinges.

Image

simon_manning
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:51 pm
Location: new forest,hampshire,u.k.
Been Liked: 123 times

Post by simon_manning » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 pm

the panzer is coming on well there david,taking shape,regards simon manning.

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Both mudguards are now done and I spent last week adding the details (tool clamps, lights etc) to the right hand mudguard. Over the weekend I had my first go at doing some silver soldering and made a pair of aerial trough brackets to replace the cylindrical spacers that come with the kit. Although they are not 100% accurate they are certainly more representative of the real thing.

Image

David

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 am

Progress continues steadily on the PIII.

I added the two fillets to the aerial base as well as adding a 45 degree miter at the end and some welds.

I also modified Clive's antenna base by removing the cast nuts and bolts and adding real ones and adding the two plates on either side. I made up a spacer and a nylon washer to get the correct distance of the antenna base from the aerial base.

The two bolts you can see holing the aerial base to the hull are just temporary for the photograph.

I just need to add the antenna itself now.

More photographs on my website.

David

Image

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

I got the hull completly painted in it's base coat of RAL8000 this weekend and temporarly assembled the upper hull and mudgaurds onto the lower hull.

For a break I decided to paint and weather the wire cutters trying to get the feeling of the bakelite handles.

Image

Here are a couple of pictures of the PIII.

Image

Image

Does anyone have any pictures of the starter handle and tow ropes, but not on a museum tank, as I would like to get a feel as to the "texture" and color they would be on a "in service" tank.

Obviously, they do not have to be on a PIII.

Thanks again for any help.

David

Kent Wiik

Post by Kent Wiik » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 pm

David Da Costa wrote:For a break I decided to paint and weather the wire cutters trying to get the feeling of the bakelite handles.
Impressing work on your Panzer III, well done!
And the paint on the “Drahtschereâ€

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks Kent and thank for the info on the “Drahtschereâ€

David Da Costa
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by David Da Costa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Made a wooden handle for the shovel today and painted/ weathered it.

Image

Image


David

Post Reply