Leichter Panzerspähwagen Sd.Kfz.222 rebuild

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 222
mark lawson
Has liked: 991 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Re: Leichter Panzerspähwagen Sd.Kfz.222 rebuild

Post by mark lawson » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 pm

I have decided to start work on the 20mm gun mount and want to improve the standard parts as the gun is the main feature in the Panzerspähwagen so a little detail will help.

A few months back I bought the resin gun mount for the Panzerspähwagen from http://www.eastcoastarmory.com/222.htm my intention was to use as much of the kit as I could along with the gun from a Dragon 2cm Flak38, before I ordered the kit I knew I would probably have to make new parts from brass to give strength to the gun mount.

John from East Coast Armory is sympathetic in regards to postage and quite a helpful chap I only ordered the top half of the kit knowing that this would be a gamble if it actually would fit in the Armortek turm, when the kit arrived everything was neatly packed into separate bags.
Work on the gun mount begins, the 20mm Flak 38 is from Dragon.
Last edited by mark lawson on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werkstatt - 5 Panzer parts. werkstatt.five@gmail.com
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

mark lawson

Post by mark lawson » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I also enlarged the turret opening by some 10mm or 20mm overall this should allow a figure or two to be installed in the turret and also give a better appearance, I simply made the opening larger and silver soldered a new turret ring in place this is a fraction of the weight of the original turret ring which should take some stress of the turret motor.
I also added the antenna bracket for the Stab antenna.
First impression of the resin gun mount this sits some 10mm too height but is possible to reduce this to the correct height, I decided early on that the resin uprights would need to be changed to brass to give the structure some strength witch the resin parts would not offer, next job is the replace the resin parts with brass this will give the central structure strength which the gun mount will need.
Image Image
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

mark lawson

Post by mark lawson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Work on the gun mount continues, a lot of cutting and machining then a lot of silver soldering has taken place over the laws few weeks to what I have now, I have started work on the front mount and will update the thread once I have turret rotation completed.
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

simon_manning
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by simon_manning » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 pm

superb project, thanks for posting, i sort of know what goes into these soldering builds, "tricky" regards simon manning.

Robert E Morey
Been Liked: 52 times

Post by Robert E Morey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Mark
Fantastic work on the gun mount. I love working with brass. Beautifully done.

Curious - was the original turret diameter undersized? Perhaps this old news - but it does look awfully cramped in the 222 turrets without modifying them.

Great work.
Bob

mark lawson

Post by mark lawson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Its been more than 1 year since I updated or worked on the Sd.Kfz.222, recently its been annoying me that its not yet completed so back on the workbench and another look at the main gun mount which has proven to be difficult for a few reasons, the 222 is a little under scale and the East Coast Armory gun mount is a little overscale but work will carry on.

Once I replaced the turret front with slightly taller front, I also removed the large turret ring and added a thin sheet steel ring which will give more space in the turret, the inspection hatch was added to the rear and the vision ports in the side of the turret were filled as on the later series 5 Ausf B version of the 222 the vision ports were removed as shown in these period pictures.
The Littlefield 222 had these vision ports had a welded plate covering where the vision ports were
Before I painted the turret I added some filler to give the base of the turret a sharp edge as opposed to the radiused edge caused by folding the turret I have yet to add weld lines.
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

mark lawson

Post by mark lawson » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 pm

A quick update on the 2cm gun mount that I have been modifying to fit, I now have the MG mount and gunsight brackets in place, I now have to modify the spent round catch, I could do with some 10 round magazines as opposed to the standard 20 round magazines.
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau