Mick's Panther A

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
michael hilton
Has liked: 1528 times
Been liked: 814 times

Re: Mick's Panther A

Post by michael hilton »

Lovely morning, after the heavy rain, it's also quite mild.....so, with rattle cans at the ready, here we go. The garage doors are flung open, there is a useful light wind blowing from front to rear. I call it my paint extractor fan....patented, of course.... Following a light rubdown with fine wet and dry, the turret, rear and front decks are removed to garage spray booth, aka Armortek box, and over sprayed with Army Paint Industrial, WH. Dunkel Gelb RAL 7028...Once dry the parts are relocated onto the hull...and in my usual way, I reconnected the electrics and ran a test. I have an inkling that I may be paranoid in this regard, nevertheless it has to be done....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2220 times
Been liked: 6944 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

She is looking so good Mick, now how about some weathering to bring her to life when all the dunk is applied ?
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Found time to spray the Dunkel Gelb, a certain amount of careful planning required here, as my good lady does not do 'smelly paint' . As before, the garage is 'out of bounds', far to cold, so rattle can at the slope, window wide open, go for it. So far so good....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 695 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Mick
Your Panther is looking good. This is the process I enjoy most - the final painting. Getting close!
Bob

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Bob, I think the painting will be challenging to say the least. A little time and forethought should reap it's own rewards. As previously said, I am going for late 1944 Linear Splinter camouflage, that's a challenge in itself. I have two or three photographs to which I will refer. Then, on the advice of the 'masters of weathering'......who knows....Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1068.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Masking up takes some doing , but enjoyable.....
Attachments
IMG_1070.JPG

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

She's looking good Mick, that's an unusual camouflage scheme but I like it, regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Phil, thank you. I am enjoying your Quad/25PDR/Limber build by the way. I thought the 'splinter' camo would be different. Paint and weathering are not a strong point although I appreciate the excellent examples on the Forum. It is tricky masking around the many fittings to get the lines straight. I will use the Flecktarn Braun I have, in between the yellow and green, and then if all is well, a light dusting of mud.....Mick
Attachments
P1.jpg

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

I need to slow down....or someone will wake up and smell the paint :roll:
Attachments
IMG_1074.JPG

simon_manning
Been liked: 1512 times

Post by simon_manning »

looks very effective mick, good choice of camo, these angular patterns look good, regards simon manning.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 958 times
Been liked: 2027 times

Post by Stephen White »

Great stuff, Mick, be proud. Looks magnificent. Now, a filter to blend the colours and tone them down, some rendering to bring out the detail and ........ your light dusting of mud and hours more fun. If you’re not in a rush to complete, weathering is entertaining and if you use oils, no smell to raise complaints from the management. Thanks for sharing your fine build with us. Stephen

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you for your useful comments Stephen and Simon, it is an enjoyable experience when you reach this stage in the build so I want to give it my best shot. I am using STUK professional precision masking tape...to prevent paint bleed....one or two very small areas need touching up, otherwise the tape works well....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1076.JPG

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

That's a very nice build indeed, now you have to make it look mucky :D ...Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Phil, I have delved deeply into the dark art of weathering....my brain is scrambled....however, I will be having a go. The Knowledge Base and the many videos on uTube have been most helpful. I have researched the many 'washes' used and formed a plan....of sorts. Work in small areas and a little goes a long way. Any road up, it's all an adventure...I will post as I go...mistakes and all. best wishes, Mick.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Now me hearties, here we go......and I do realize that my 'weathering' efforts my not be to everyone's taste.
The camouflage pattern late 1944/5 linear splinter looked quite stark, so I started with a light wet and dry sanding over the whole hull to both remove the masking tape lines and tone down the colours. I understand that I now need to brush coat a 'fixer' over the hull. What diluted colour 'fixer' should I use to balance the camouflage colours ?
The next process is an overall diluted ' wash', but again what colour ? ....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG