Panther Progress!

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Robert E Morey
Been Liked: 156 times

Panther Progress!

Post by Robert E Morey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:45 am

I thought it might be interesting to show evidence I do actually build something. Some recent progress shots of my Panther. Hope to have it running soon -after more than a year of building that is pretty exciting. For those just starting out, a little extra detailing effort makes these awesome models Really impressive up close. Thanks to all for the photos of your builds -you have been great inspiration to build more detail. Left side track not installed yet :oops:

Dale jordan
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by Dale jordan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:22 am

Looking real nice Bob . The zimmert looks great . Bob it's the best feeling when you put the tracks on for the first time . When I tracked my tiger , I walk in and out of my workshop about ten times just to have another look .. Dale

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 am

Dale,
Yes I agree. For the longest time it was just a heavy metal box. Then you put the wheels and tracks on and wow! Its really a tank! :shock:

Derek Attree
Has liked: 65 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by Derek Attree » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Bob
That looks great I hope to get mine tracked next week and seeing yours
I cant wait.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Derek :D
we must stop making stupid predictions

Tim Bowman
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Tim Bowman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Bob

WOW! 8) 8)

That is really nice work. At this rate, you'll have camo on yours before me. your patience in the detailing has certainly paid off.

Super job

Dale, Only ten times? :lol:

regards

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:08 pm

Tim,
Well I had yours to look at for inspiration over a year ago! Nothing like seeing a masterpiece live to get you motivated. But yeah I'm itching to get it camo'ed. I have the airbrush at the ready. I thought you'd have yours done up by now. :evil:
Bob

Allan Richards
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Allan Richards » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:29 pm

Bob,

A very nice build and fine looking model. I thin your build time is quite respectable, after all the build is much of the pleasure. Mind you these models are never quite finished. There's always something to play with.
Allan Richards

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:18 am

Alan,
Youre right, sometimes it seems like you'll never finish. But then thats the fun of it! I think I will defer making some of the small tool mounting brackets etc until its up and running. I want to see this thing churn some dirt. :twisted: Thanks all for the comments and encouragement.

Allan Richards
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Allan Richards » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Robert,

A good idea to get it running and sorted before adding the fine detail, its also a good boost for the enthusiasm.
Allan Richards

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Thought I would post some more progress shots of my Panther. Gun cleaning rod tube made from copper tube and brass strap - an easy afternoon project. The periscope bottoms are cast from white metal.

willie leonard
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by willie leonard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:29 am

Hey Bob, Your Panther looks incredible. I'm enjoying following the progress of yours and Tim's and the many other builds on this forum.Looking forward to the finnished product. I do have a question.What kind of primer and paint did you use and what did you use to make your welds?

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:28 am

Hi Willie,
I use plain old hardware store Rustoleum primer, but good quality of course. Red oxide or red brown primer for German tanks. It must be self etching as this stuff really sticks once it is dry. The dark yellow is all Tamiya TS-3 in cans. I think I've used about 25 cans so far! Thats the trouble with painting parts before assy - you use a lot more a paint. You may want to do what others have done - have an automotive repair shop mix up some matching paint. That would be money well spent.

The welds and zimmerit are both milliput. I've found JB Weld 2 part epoxy will make decent looking welds as well. The milliput is slow going, but man is it tough - very durable when dry! :twisted: And its almost the right color of yellow!

Almost time to add camo scheme once right side zimmerit is finished. My airbrush finger is getting itchy, I think Tim will beat me to it. But he had a head start :roll:
Bob

Tim Bowman

Post by Tim Bowman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi Bob

I love the impact scars on the front glacis! 8) Nicely done. As is everything else on your Panther.

It'll be great if we can get them running at the same place some time.

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Robert E Morey

More progress -Starting to come together!

Post by Robert E Morey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 pm

My Panther is finally looking semi-complete on the outside. Zimmerit is 95% finished. Wow did that take months to do (but I'm slow! :oops: ). Some more photos of a few details I've added lately.

Machined some end caps for my gun cleaning rod tube. I will add fake latches later to the end caps. This tube would make a great battery pack for the Notek light! Enjoy. 8)

Some details of the front zimmerit, weld details, Steve Winstone Notek light, etc....

Getting ready to install Steve's awesome travel lock.

Tim Bowman

Post by Tim Bowman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 am

Very, very nice indeed!

Great work Bob. It's coming together nicely and your distressed zimmerit looks awesome. I better start mixing my camouflage colors and get them in the airbrush! :lol:

Best regards

Tim