The Morris Commercial C8 Field Artillery Tractor (FAT), known as a Quad, was used by the British and Commonwealth forces during the Second World War. Used to tow field artillery pieces, such as the 25 Pdr Field gun and the 17 Pdr anti – tank gun. Late in 1937, the British War Office issued a specification for a four-wheeled, four-wheel drive vehicle, with winch, a covered body all on a short chassis with storage space for ammunition and batteries and space for 6 crew. The task was undertaken by Guy Motors and Morris Commercial Cars.
The Quad was first used in action in France in 1940, towing an 18 Pdr. From June 1940 it was used to tow 75 mm guns and then used from Iceland to Malaya, mostly as a tractor for the 25 Pdr field gun.
Anti – tank regiments, later in the war were equipped with 6 and 17 Pdr guns and quads were used as tractors, some 17 pdrs were towed with a limber.
At the end of the War the Quad remained in British Service and was extensively used in the Korean War and Malaya. Many quads were rebuilt in the early 1950’s extending their life until 1959 when the final vehicles were sold off.