Grant Details

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1137 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Grant Details

Post by Adrian Harris »

I've just been watching this tank recovery video on YouTube ( ) and noticed a few odd details on the Grant, such as debris chutes running along the tops of the bogies and extra fuel tank and stowage boxes on the engine deck and rear plate.

Grant Tank.jpg

As far as I can tell, these were specific to Canadian Grants.

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Grant Details

Post by Pete Nash »

Hi Adrian.

Thank you for the Post. I expect Chris Hall will make a comment, but I don't quite agree.

I have only two books on the Grant/Lee;Terry Gander's 'Tanks in Detail' and Osprey's M£ Lee/Grant Medium Tank 1941-45.

Both publications show Grants with 'Sand shields' fitted to British Operated tanks in the Western Desert. They 'imply' that the shields were fitted to stop sand being blown out by the tracks thus giving away the presence of tanks while on the move. It seems that they were a 'local modification or requirement for British operated tanks only.
American Lee Tanks in Tunisia after Operation Torch do not appear, or have ever, to have been fitted with them.

Later, the 'sand Shields' were removed when operations moved to the less dusty condition in Sicily Italy and Burma.

That is the impression I get when reading the books.
Attachments
M3_Monty_Grant_Command_Variant_Bovington.jpg
M3_Monty_Grant_Command_Variant_Bovington.jpg (90.65 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
2cf0f8e23409e542a01407aaa86bb86e.jpg

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Hi Pete.

I think you missed my point :wink:

The chute I'm interested in is running along between the bogies, under the return rollers but above the road wheels.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pete Nash »

I did indeed.
Looking closely at the image from the film you posted I can see the chutes you mean.
Doh! :oops: :roll:

Appointment booked at 'Specsavers', and doctor's for a brain transplant :D :) :lol:

Looking through the aforementioned books, there doesn't seem to be an image or mention of them. I wonder if they were to stop mud a large pieces of rubble falling onto the road wheels and jamming them?

Pete

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

The VVSS suspension system is certainly at risk from rocks jamming the wheels or suspension arm movement.

Milicast as the only people I've found with a kit showng these parts, and they list it as an "M3 Grant (Late)(Canadian)"

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.ph ... t=0&page=1

Adrian.