LAST SHIPPING DATE FOR 2019 WILL BE THURSDAY 12TH DECEMBER.
SHIPPING WILL RESUME ON THE 6TH JANUARY 2020.

The V2 project

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 543 times
Been Liked: 1315 times

Re: The V2 project

Post by Phil Woollard » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm applying the chips and scratches right now, i think my technique is reasonably good, not as go as some but it passes muster, the trick or secret is to get the chips as random as possible. if you can apply in a random way you are a better modeller than me.
One way to achieve a convincing spread pattern is to use a stiff bristle brush and flick the paint over high traffic areas by stroking the brush bristles once loaded with paint (don't use a dark colour as it's just a guide), then those random dots (once dry) become your pattern or pointer, simply apply the appropriate colour chipping with the tip of your chosen detailing brush, you don't have to use all the pattern dots, just those that look good and are in the right place. Try it on some plasticard or if your feeling brave your Tiger, after all it's just paint! If you don't like an area then use some meths on a rag and gently rub it away. I spend hours applying and then rubbing off until I'm happy with the look.
Attachments
DSC_2314.JPG
The model is very slowly coming to life with each stage of the weathering.
DSC_2316.JPG
That cluster of grey on the spare wheel is wrong , so that will need to come off. The over spray on the tyre also needs rubbing off.
DSC_2317.JPG
A little too much grey chipping along the seams, so I will rub that back.
DSC_2319.JPG
DSC_2320.JPG
The brownish fine chips are a very tricky technique which takes some practice but you can use an old sponge to get a similar result.K
Mechanical engineer, Pyrotechnic technician, and small time farmer.
Youtube channel, Magpiespyro. For 1/6th scale video action!
Email; philandkris2@hotmail.com

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm

As it's minus 4 out side (real feel wind chill) a few hours in the tank shop.I expect you are all fed up with Protze photos by now but it's just about finished, then onto the 37mm to make that look like it belongs to the vehicle, then some video to see how it looks and sounds in the mud.
Attachments
DSC_2333.JPG
DSC_2328 (2).JPG
DSC_2331.JPG
DSC_2329 (2).JPG
I need to find a rear view mirror, the longer what look like mirrors are in fact "traffic cators" or semaphore indicators.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 pm

A quick video of the Protze proving trials. https://youtu.be/GGMjqnF7Lmw
Attachments
DSC_2352 (2).JPG

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Now this is the old effect version of the same Protze video, so bare with me on this one! I have spent some time applying various editing effects to create a 1940's feel, I have also enhanced the inertia effect so that the vehicle behaves more like the full size version, basically slowing the video down in places whilst leaving the audio at normal speed, thus creating a more realistic viewing experience.....I hope. See what you think? 8)

https://youtu.be/NNUyxblf1_s
Attachments
DSC_2351.JPG

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:38 am

Well we have conducted a test firing of the V2 rocket assembly minus it's air frame, as with all good rocket related RND experiments it didn't go quite to plan! Here are a few stills taken from the operation, lets just say that the measured .5kg of thrust taken around the mid burn section didn't allow for the enormous initial launch kick in of probably around 2kgs, maybe a little more, so for just a moment the motor, the fuel tanks and the control unit were briefly airborne!
The video is being edited right now and will be uploaded as soon as possible. 8)
Attachments
abdab16403c6e2c6c48cb75f8cad8c62.jpg
The real thing , obviously.
abdab16403c6e2c6c48cb75f8cad8c62.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
DSC_2355 (2).JPG
The crew bypassing the main full tank....
DSC_2361.JPG
and injecting the fuel directly into the hydrogen peroxide powered fuel/O2 delivery turbine pumps.
received_419532331943456_Moment(2).jpg
The full size rocket was ignited using a pyrotechnic device suspended just inside the thrust body nozzle, so I have done the same.
received_419532331943456_Moment.jpg
This photo shows a nice clean burn after the assembly settled down, the video will explain a whole lot more than words can!

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am

As promised the "tongue in cheek" V2 rocket engine short burn trials video (in Sepia this time) I say tongue in cheek as there's a little satire included, especially when the narrator says that "the V2 is carefully transported to the firing facility" as you will see the road is very bumpy, also one of the ground crew gets a shock as the entire assembly unexpectedly leaps towards him! all good fun. 8)

https://youtu.be/m6DS8W9w2VM
Attachments
DSC_2361.JPG

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 316 times
Been Liked: 639 times

Post by Stephen White » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 am

Well done Phil, I thought the acting was a bit wooden (plastic?) but the action was fun. It's a truly impressive model you've created.