The Armortek factory will be closed from the 17th Aug until the 2nd Sept. Any orders or queries during that time will be dealt with when we re-open.

Tiger 066 Construction

Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 am

John,
Your KT is a marvel of eye popping detail. Great job, I love every post. I can tell you are really enjoying this build. I love the use of resin detail parts with the metal tank. Very cool. Thanks for posting your progress.

John Grima

Post by John Grima » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:56 am

Thanks Robert, The copula has no interior detailing besides the basic periscopes. All head rest detail and hatch opening spring canister detail was scratch built. out of brass, resin, and plastic.

The hatch spring mechanism and handle are functional and actually assist in opening the hatch and swinging it to the open position.

for the copula hatch pivot arm the kit wants you to use a large Allen screw. The problem with using the screw is that the threads show when the hatch is in the open position. To fix this I covered the exposed threads in solder and turned the solder down flush thus removing the threads. To mount the bolt to the hatch I drilled a hole through the hatch arm and the bolt, I then inserted a lock pin to secure the whole unit together.

On the copula's exterior the kit supplied periscope covers were re worked to have backings to them. Before I was able to add the backings I first had to rework the shape of the guards giving them an angle. Once the angle was ground into them I was able to add the backings.

The backings and the MG rail were soldered to the periscope covers. In addition to the backings I also added several other small copula details including hatch aligners, hatch arm details, and a range finder.

The kit also supplies you with the turret crane bosses. The bosses were made out of CNCed steel. Before I was able to add the bosses I first had to widen the hole of the bosses on my lathe, and I had to grind an angle into two of the bosses so they sit level on the turret's roof.

Another piece of detail that I added to the turret front was the addition of the commander folding range finder.

Two barckets were added to the turret's rear along with the kit supplied armorpax D rings.

The turret antenna base mount was machined out of resin and mounted to the tank's turret.

The final bit of detail that was added besides the final turret plate welds was the close quarter defense weapon. The kit supplies you with a CNCed aluminum mount that has some basic details.

The kit wants you to glue this component into it's place, but I decided to make the part pivot as per the real vehicle. This was done in a similar way as I did the front driver's periscope. After some basic slot screw details I mounted the weapon and it pivots smoothly. Once the tank is complete I will post a you tube video showing the grenade launcher in action.

With the turret complete I can now add the finishing touches to the hull and the tank will be ready for painting...hopefully by the end of the week more to follow.

peter karlsson

Post by peter karlsson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 pm

hi John!!

i haved followed your work on the kt from the start, and im realy like your build,its gonna be so nice to see when paint comes on :D

kind regards peter(peppe) :D

John Grima

Post by John Grima » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks Peter,

The last bits have been added and fabricated and the tank is now ready for painting.

The tank's rear grenade grill guards have been fabricated. These grills were fabricated out of brass, steel, and aluminum. They will be bolted to the tank permanent after the tank is painted. These were the last components to be scratch built for the model before painting.

The tank's side skirts have also been added. The kit supplies you with a set of laser cut steel side skirts with Photo Etch Brass skirt edgings. The skirts are excellent and were assembled OOB with no extra mods needed.

The kit supplied laser cut steel front fender tips come pre welded and are basically ready to install out of the Box.

The edgings were all soldered to the fenders

The fenders were then primed and mounted to the tank. The fenders went on smooth with no problems or hang-ups.

After the fenders were added I wanted to take the tank for one last test drive to see how the tank runs with the side skirts added. The tank ran very well and I made a video of the test drive and posted the video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DkyaOQjwWw

I was also able to make the video showing the driver's periscope and defense weapon functioning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccUaoMU9iA

The tank will go into painting tomorrow more info to follow.

yves mouton

king tiger

Post by yves mouton » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 am

Hello John,

All the functions on your KT are magnificant,
how many channels do you need for all these functions?
Keep the beautiful pictures coming.

regards Yves

John Grima

Post by John Grima » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks Yves, for the functions I use 6 channels. many of the functions work off of one channel

Today I was able to take the tank and apply its final prime and base coat.

Final Prime.

Base Coat of Dunkelgelb.

the tank will now be getting it's cammo. More info to come.

Tim Bowman

Post by Tim Bowman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Awesome!

Love it in the factory fresh dunkelgelb.

Great job as usual

best regards
Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

John Grima

Post by John Grima » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks Tim, The tank's ambush cammo pattern has been applied. I still have to finish up the side skirts and the grenade grills. Once complete they will be ready for the next step.

The tank will now get it's markings, then it's weathering. More progress to come.

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 am

John,
That is a great looking paint job! Great detail too, excellent in every way. I like the snow and trees in the background definately looks Battle of the Bulge ready. Will look even better with the tracks. Excellent job.
Bob

Brian Leach

Post by Brian Leach » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

John,

Your KT looks great.

I have a question about the gun elevation and the final test drive videos. It appears that the gun does not bounce while motering down the road (excellent video effects!). Is that what the springs on the gun are for, to dampen the gun movement?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Brian
Brian

Reasonable people act reasonably!

Mark Bennett

Post by Mark Bennett » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:40 am

Hi John,

I really enjoyed your video with all the extras that you have built. Your KT build has been really fun to watch. :lol:

Mark

John Grima

Post by John Grima » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks Guys,

Brian, The springs are to aid the gun elevation motor in lifting the heavy gun barrel...but, I don't see why they can't add tension to help kepp the gun from bouncing.

The tank's markings and weathering have been applied. along with the tracks, side skirts and grenade guards. I didn't add the steel drybrushing to the tracks because the tracks will scratch themselves after the tank runs a short distance.

The tank is now about 95% complete. Next will be the addition of the tools and the antennas. Then the tank will be ready for action.

Allan Richards

Post by Allan Richards » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:19 pm

John,

I've watched this build with interest and I must say the model has turned out top class, its really stunning looking. Fitting the tools and detail is the bit I like as it brings the model to life.
Allan Richards

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm

John.
This has been a great build and the finished paint job looks just right.
You must be very proud of the end result.
Regards
Steve

leesellars

Post by leesellars » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello John

I like the camo. Dont forget to seal it with a Matt Varnish

Lee
http://www.newthorpemodels.co.uk
http://www.Facebook.com/newthorpemodels
Dont hit me so early in the morning with those negative waves.
Listen carefully i shall say this only once.
If its not broke dont fix it.
Ich Hatt Einen Kameraden