A couple of pictures

Forum for discussion relating to the Jagdpanther
David Price

A couple of pictures

Post by David Price »

Here is a link to a few of pictures of my group. The newly finished Jagd on its first venture outside.
http://www.southwestarmorgroup.com/Secret%20page.htm

Mick Regan
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Mick Regan »

Nice line up of models you have there David. :D I was suprised how big the Jagdpanther was when parked next to your Tiger. :shock:

Mick
I have personally given up hope that politicians who never experienced war first hand will ever realise that war is the worst of all possible alternatives.
Otto Carius. Commander 2nd Company sPzAbt. 502

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1136 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Great looking line up you have there David, though I guess that page isn't too secret any more :wink:

Adrian.

William Gardeniers
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by William Gardeniers »

Hi David

Nice picture's great models i can only dream off suche a line up.
Do you have also picture's of the inside off the Jagdpanther thats what i am curious about.

William

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi David

Your Jagdpanther looks fantastic! As do all your other vehicles. I feel sorry for your M5 Stuart. :P

Best regards
Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 695 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

David,
The Jagdpanther is stunning. Beautiful job. Excellent camo painting and weathering. I really like the yellow base coat color. It looks flatter and a bit lighter than the stock Tamiya color? Can you give us any details or is it a secret receipe?

That is a very impressive line up of models! The Tiger is awesome too.

Thanks for sharing the link.
Bob

David Price

Post by David Price »

Robert,
That base color is Krylon Tan Camo which I got from Walmart. Big can and cheap compaired to other paints. The Tiger is the same base paint. I love the Krylon because its cheap, drys fast, durable, and works very well with Model Master which is all of the other colors. The 7 is base coated with Tamiya and I will never use that stuff again. To me its expensive, smells, long dry time, and not durable. The Stuart is shot with Krylon green camo. The green is a little dark but I like it. There is also a brown and flat black in the line.

At the last AMA expo I had the Tiger and 7 on display. A very nice man with a heavy German accent was hovering over the 7. I asked him if he had any questions. He said "no", "I was on a SDKFZ7 in the war". "I was forced into the service at the age of fourteen". The war had only a few months left at that point. He was captured by an American, interigated, and told to change his clothes and go home, be a kid again. I talked to him for as long as I could (his wife was tired of his stories). At one point I asked him if the colors where close and as he recalled the flat (Krylon) was closer to what he remembered. At that point in the war I suppose any paint left was worn, dirty, and faded. I wish I could have had more time to listen to him. The AMA is in Jan. and I hope to see him there again.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 695 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Dave thanks for the paint info. Will have to look for some of that Krylon. Looks great on both Tiger and JP. The lighter shade makes it look faded. 8)

I like the Tamiya yellow, but it is expensive $5-$6 ea for the little tiny cans. I have found it to be pretty durable if you prep well (good primer etc). It is stinky b/c it is a lacquer base - I usually use a respirator if spraying it in the garage. The fumes will knock you otherwise. Would be good to find an alternative.

Cool story about the vet! Hope you see him again. I'd like to get down to SoCal sometime to see your club. I only made it as far as San Jose this summer. Maybe next. I enjoyed your website -thanks for the link. Do you guys have any club events other than the shows?

Is your SDKFZ 7 stock built or highly modified? Looks great too!

Bob

David Price

Post by David Price »

Robert,
We usually only see each other at shows. We are pretty much spread out across SoCal. I will probably try to do a club picnic for 2010. You would be very welcome to join in.
The 7 is stock. I am working with a fellow club member to cast sprockets
to replace the originals. I've had issues with the stock ones.

leesellars
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by leesellars »

Hello Chaps

I Use Tamiya Paints all the time on my custom builds. It is very durable. I airbrush it on and thin it down to 2 to 1 with Tamiya thinners. For the SD Kfz 7 that i have done recently see my gallery. When i have finished it is sealed with a Matt Varnish.
The price here in the UK is about £1.25 or about $2.10 for a 10ml pot.

Lee
http://www.Facebook.com/newthorpemodels
Dont hit me so early in the morning with those negative waves.
Listen carefully i shall say this only once.
If its not broke dont fix it.
Ich Hatt Einen Kameraden

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1136 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Lee

Do you use a modelling varnish, or something like Polyurethane ?

Adrian.

leesellars
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by leesellars »

Hello Adrian

Yes I do use a Varnish to seal work in. I use Johnsons Klear. (Floor Varnish). BUT before i do any weathering. This is to put a barrier in place so i can use oils and white spirits. The varnish leaves a gloss finish hence the matt varnish at the end ie last coat. I recon that i put at least 12 coats of various paints on. I Do an Air Brushing painting course from beginners to advanced. If any one is intersted.

Lee
http://www.Facebook.com/newthorpemodels
Dont hit me so early in the morning with those negative waves.
Listen carefully i shall say this only once.
If its not broke dont fix it.
Ich Hatt Einen Kameraden