Ultimathe Panther by Luca

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Luca Fossa

Ultimathe Panther by Luca

Post by Luca Fossa »

Hi guys, my panther number 06 is arrived last week, so here we are for a new adventure.
First at all let me tell that with this kit Armortek achieves a new stage in quality, from the first screw you feel that every things goes alright. It's my habit tell what i think and if in the past i had some discussion with Mark about his models now i can tell Armortek is at the top.
Now we have a millimetric precision, don't need to make new holes or correct the old ones.
This is not all, Armortek did correct with the right shape some element of the hull and some detail.

The building starts by assembling the hull. As told before the hull goes up for himself. I've added only some screws to keep in position the brass bushing for the suspension arms.

More to come…

simon_manning
Been liked: 1512 times

Post by simon_manning »

good to see you on luca, i think i've picked the right time to build mine, plenty of info around, looking forward to the build luca, regards simon.

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 630 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Luca.
Off to a good start
Keep the posts comming
Regards
Steve

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 695 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Luca,
Looking forward to seeing your Panther progress. I'm sure it will be excellent just like your KT. Thanks for posting.
Kind regards,
Bob

Luca Fossa

Post by Luca Fossa »

Little Update:

After a bad attempt to install the suspension, see the pic, i have dismounted all the torsion bars and asked help to Mark.
He told me about a sort of "shim washers" capable to adjust the angle of the suspension, but for now this speech is dark for me. He kindly promised me to translate the instructions in my language, so i am waiting for this.

By considering that i can't procede with the suspension i have tryed to add some detail to the hull .

In some pic i have observed a sort of lid near the suspension, probably behind it there was the mechanism for adjusting the suspension.

I would have liked to create some sort of mold, but after a short fight with the silicone resin, I created the pieces one by one from a evergreen sheet of 1.5 mm .

The result could be better than this but probably i will not see nothing when the wheels will be in place.

More to come.

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 283 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Very nice detail. I will follow this with interest. It will be interesting to watch this build alongside some of the earlier production panthers.

John

Brian Leach
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Brian Leach »

Luca,

I like the covers, something I plan to do.

Are you planning on modifying the swingarms?

Nice job,
Brian
Brian

Reasonable people act reasonably!

Luca Fossa

Post by Luca Fossa »

Hi Brian ....
Modifying the swingarm require a machine that i don't have, would be better to start with a new piece because the orginal one is quite different from than of the model, therefore is not my intention to modify them.

We always must remember that our model must work and i don't believe is a good idea modify working piece with the risk to increase their weakness.

The lids are just an attempt made for not using the putty over the screws retaining the lateral side.

Cheers

Luca

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Looking good Luca!

Excited to see your Panther come together.

Best regards
Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Luca Fossa

Post by Luca Fossa »

Back again

The last mail received from Gill was "illuminating", but i procede with order.

After removing all the torsion bars i have started the procedure from the beginning.

First insert the torsion bar A between the lateral bar and the bush with the wedge clamp. By screwing the wedge clamp the bar (obviously you have screwed the bar at the end onto the lateral bar) the bush with the wedge clamp makes a rotation fo about 15 degree anti clockwise.

Second, insert the torsion bar B, i have already fixed the bar to the suspension arm and fixed firmly with the screws.

If by screwing the wedge clamp the suspension can't have the right angolation you must unscrew the suspension arm and insert one or more shim washers. Gill told me each washer is capable to rotate the suspension of 20 degree.

In my case almost all the suspensions has required two washers, sometime 3.

After repeating the procedure for all of yours suspensions the first flank is completed.

The final suspension is always a drama, as usual. There were no reasons to obtain the right angolation even after having inserted eight washers. At last i have solved by making my own washer thick about 0,7 mm.

Detail of the rear idler, the false weld must be added yet

Same for the front

More to come……….

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 283 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Looking good. Not looking forward to setting up suspension on my Tiger. Looks daunting. Panther even more so. Keep up the good work.

John

Kent Wiik
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Kent Wiik »

Hi Luca,

Nice build and with an impressing speed.
Love those small lids and now you have inspired me to make them on my own build, thanks!

One tiny thing I spotted if you don’t mind me saying it.
The shock absorber plugs on the RH was placed different.

Please look at my saga on page 1.

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.

Kind regards
Kent
It´s all in the details!

Luca Fossa

Post by Luca Fossa »

Kent Wiik wrote:One tiny thing I spotted if you don’t mind me saying it.
The shock absorber plugs on the RH was placed different

Damn......... Kent i have moved in the same position of the left side because i thought they was specular.......grats i'll provide to make the change.

Cheers

Luca

Kent Wiik
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Kent Wiik »

Hi Luca,

No problem, one step forward and two steps back that’s life sometimes... :D

Here is a drawing explaining how the plugs were placed.
The swing arm configuration is why the difference in RH/LH is there.

The combination of the double torsion bar system and the shock absorbers made the unique smooth and gentle ride the Panther had.

Please note that in October 1944 to speed up production (Panzer Tracts 5-171, 5-207) the rear shock absorbers was deleted and no plug was there any more.
And on very late Panthers also the rear pair of bumper stops was deleted (Simon...)

Kind regards
Kent
It´s all in the details!

Luca Fossa

Post by Luca Fossa »

Little update:

installed the two lateral shelves, without the definitive flank they can’t stay in the right position so a little renforcement has been added also if not visible in this pic.

Corrected the position of the shock absorber on the right side as Kent kindly have suggested

By speaking with Mark he confirmed that the four big holes on the sides need only for the Berghepanther’s version….they can be closed….first at all a screw to close the hole then putty

Same for the frontal holes

The hull was painted in RAL 7028. Tank is growing in weight and it’s near the time when I will never see the bottom.

Before painting i’ve provided to make some false weld around

Meanwhile the paint is wet i started the sprockets.

Trying to make as Kent I’ve detailed the back side, in the front you can see the beautiful nuts from Winstone

Some details must be added yet

More to come